Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 70 (Belt Installation)

Visiting Guest

06-09-04, 03:38 PM   #1  
Brian Smith
John Deere 70 (Belt Installation)

John Deere 70, Type T2011, serial no. 035083M. I work for a church and was donated this riding mower today. The engine was worked on and runs well but a belt broke today that runs the blades. I took the belt to a dealer. I had to get a car belt as the mower belt is no longer made. They had no manual. Anyway, I got the belt but don't know how to put it on. The dealer called it a fractional horsepower belt. It came off of the thing attached to the blades and runs to the engine. It slips over one end, which is attached to the blades but how does the other end attach. It appears I just start taking things off around the other end starting with a cotter pin. Can anyone advize me? Brian

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-04, 01:13 AM   #2  
Hello Brian!

Try the Deere website to see if they have a diagram for your deck. A car belt will not work. It will be shreds in no time. You need a utility belt, or "fractional horsepower belt" with a cloth sheath around the entire surface. Without this sheath, the belt will not last. Most auto belts are too narrow as well. It shouldn't be less than 1/2" wide. You can buy these belts at napa and many other auto parts stores in various sizes. I can't even remember what a model 70 deere looks like, lol.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-10-04, 05:38 AM   #3  
It's been my experience from owning and running a John Deere S82 that the belts are a exotic size that only JD has. Graingers may have some belts that will work, but I haven't spent the time to research the problem yet. Maybe they are metric or something, but I've had a lot of trouble with belts that I don't get directly from a John Deere dealership. Fortuately, we have a lot of dealers here in Iowa and the JD world headquarters is just across the river in Moline, Illinois.

PA

06-10-04, 07:31 AM   #4  
Model 70 mower drive belt

It is Deere part #M43569 and Deere parts on line shows it is no longer available. My suggestion is to post your question at www.weekendfreedommachines.ORG where I know there are folks that own a few model 70s and maybe they can help you out. The diagrams I found at JD Parts on line were of little value to show belt installation. The model 70 has not been made in 30 years and is becoming a collectors item if in good condition.

Visiting Guest

06-10-04, 07:28 PM   #5  
Brian Smith
john deere 70/belt installed

I installed the belt. Once I figured it out it was easy. Is it possible to get a manual for it off the net, possibly free? It is a john deere model 70 riding mower, type T2011. I ran it primarily in 1st gear as recomended and did well. It used alot of gas. It acts like there is a clutch problem though. I ran it in 2nd gear for about 5 minutes and had a lot of trouble stopping. It took about 20 feet before it stopped while holding the clutch in. I called John Deere and checked their site. They only recomended contacting hapcoparts.com Is there anyone in the Lebanon, Ohio area interested in helping with future problems?

Last edited by Brian Smith; 06-10-04 at 07:47 PM. Reason: looking for local help

PA

06-11-04, 09:36 AM   #6  
If Deere still is still supporting this tractor, you can get a manual (not free) from Deere publications at 1-800-522-7448. They will want the serial number of the tractor (near the ignition switch) and a credit card #, or you can order it through your Deere dealer and save the shipping if you let him add it to his stock order. The link above for Weekend Freedom Machines is a great site for info on these older Deere tractors. I've never run one or worked on one and so I'm of no help on tweaking yours.

Visiting Guest

06-11-04, 12:45 PM   #7  
Brian Smith
Techumseh model ?

The John Deere 70, type T2011, serial 035083M, has a Techumseh engine on it. Had there been a JD engine on it and this is a replacement? I cannot locate any ID numbers on it either. It looks like they may have been removed from 2 slots. Do I need a seperate manual for the engine and if so how do I identify the engine model? I cleaned the engine and can't even find a part number visible. Also there is a small hose, about 1-2" hanging near the carb. and one end is not connected to anything. I used it yesterday and it used a gallon of gas within 1-2 hours. I'm assuming the hose is a vacum hose and the gas use is norman, as a person worked on the engine before donating to our church. Thanks, Brian ps, I will check with weekend Freedom Machines.

PA

06-11-04, 01:13 PM   #8  
Your tractor originally came with a 7 HP Tecumseh motor. Here is what I found about your tractor at WFM.org.:

Model: 70
Typecode: T2011
Serial Number: 35083
Model Year: 1971
Engine Model and Size: VH70 Tecumseh 7HP
Lift Type: Manual
Paint: Green
Manufactured Location: Horicon, WI

I would say a gallon in 1-2 hours is pretty good.

Visiting Guest

06-11-04, 01:39 PM   #9  
Brian Smith
Thank You

Thank You Joe. God Bless, Brian

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-04, 01:56 AM   #10  
Brian,

The hose you described sounds like the crankcase breather vent hose. On older engines, they didn't connect to anything. They just vented into the atmosphere. On the newer engines, they connect to the air filter housing so that they can burn those vented fumes before entering the atmosphere.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-16-04, 02:46 PM   #11  
Brian Smith
Joh Deere 70 (brake/clutch)

Should I start a new thread as I have new questions regarding the same lawn tractor? The John Deere 70, type T2011, serial 35083 appears to have brake/clutch problems. At times it won't stop and won't go into gear. Are these two seperate problems from the same part? Does the cluth need replaced or adjusted is some way? I don't have a part number. Does the clutch also control the brake? If I need to replace the clutch can someone guide me to a replacement? I will contact Weekend Freedom as you said about a manual. PS, I mow at least 4-5 acres with this mower. Your help has given me faith that my mowing time will be less and I can rely on the equipment. This gives me more time do do ministry work. Thank you. Brian

06-20-04, 12:40 AM   #12  
Just my 2 cents worth, I've got the regular JD manual for my S82 riding lawn mower with a B&S engine. It's a very good manual. I don't recall how much it was at the JD dealership but it has a lot if info in it. I've overhauled the motor once and the manual was a great help in that process.

Search this Thread