Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Broken Flywheel Key

Visiting Guest

06-10-04, 09:32 PM   #1  
danielg
Broken Flywheel Key

I recently hit a tree stump while cutting grass with my lawn tractor. The engine turned off and would not start. After about an hour, I tried to start the engine and it turned on but does not idle properly. It turns off at its lowest idle setting. The engine runs fine at high speed. Could I have broken or bent the flywheel key, or does this sound like a more serious problem?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-04, 09:35 PM   #2  
Hello danielg!

Lawn tractors don't usually shear the flywheel key when a stump is hit, but it is possible. All you need to do to inspect it is remove the flywheel nut and look at the key to be sure it is intact, and the keyway in the crank lines up with the keyway in the flywheel. One common thing to check...make sure the plug wire didn't jump off. Sometimes they fit loose and will come off fairly easily, such as during the impact when hitting a stump .

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-12-04, 10:19 PM   #3  
danielg
Posted By: cheese Hello danielg!

Lawn tractors don't usually shear the flywheel key when a stump is hit, but it is possible. All you need to do to inspect it is remove the flywheel nut and look at the key to be sure it is intact, and the keyway in the crank lines up with the keyway in the flywheel. One common thing to check...make sure the plug wire didn't jump off. Sometimes they fit loose and will come off fairly easily, such as during the impact when hitting a stump .
Cheese...thanks for the information will do as you suggested again thanks!

Visiting Guest

06-12-04, 10:28 PM   #4  
danielg
Cheese...Thanks for the information..will do as you suggested!

Search this Thread