Broken Flywheel Key

Old 06-10-04, 09:32 PM
danielg
Visiting Guest
Broken Flywheel Key

I recently hit a tree stump while cutting grass with my lawn tractor. The engine turned off and would not start. After about an hour, I tried to start the engine and it turned on but does not idle properly. It turns off at its lowest idle setting. The engine runs fine at high speed. Could I have broken or bent the flywheel key, or does this sound like a more serious problem?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-04, 09:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello danielg!

Lawn tractors don't usually shear the flywheel key when a stump is hit, but it is possible. All you need to do to inspect it is remove the flywheel nut and look at the key to be sure it is intact, and the keyway in the crank lines up with the keyway in the flywheel. One common thing to check...make sure the plug wire didn't jump off. Sometimes they fit loose and will come off fairly easily, such as during the impact when hitting a stump .

Old 06-12-04, 10:19 PM
danielg
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheese
Hello danielg!

Lawn tractors don't usually shear the flywheel key when a stump is hit, but it is possible. All you need to do to inspect it is remove the flywheel nut and look at the key to be sure it is intact, and the keyway in the crank lines up with the keyway in the flywheel. One common thing to check...make sure the plug wire didn't jump off. Sometimes they fit loose and will come off fairly easily, such as during the impact when hitting a stump .
Cheese...thanks for the information will do as you suggested again thanks!

Old 06-12-04, 10:28 PM
danielg
Visiting Guest
Cheese...Thanks for the information..will do as you suggested!