B&S 20hp Intek on Scotts tractor. Carburetor is varnished up?

Old 06-11-04, 12:10 PM
mdapsey
Visiting Guest
B&S 20hp Intek on Scotts tractor. Carburetor is varnished up?

I have a Scotts Mower that sat for about 3 years, I ran all the gas out when I stored it but I think it still is gumbed up. It will not run unless I spray gas directly into the fuel bowl under the filter. I have pulled the gas line going into the carburetor and fuel is flowing to this point. I had a guy tell me that the carburetor was probably varnished from sitting and the risidual fuel that was there when I stored it. I tried spraying carb cleaner into the carb under the plate that is on top (don't the name of the plate) and that did not seem to help. So... What I am looking for I guess is if anyone has a step by step instruction on how to remove the carburetor from this model engine and a guide on how to take carburetor apart and clean the jets. Any info would be appreciated.

TIA,

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 01:17 PM
Even though you ran it out of gas, you may have picked up water condensate in the carb and in the gas tank. Have you drained the bowl on the carb to remove any water and/or crud? That would be the first and easiest job to do.

Old 06-12-04, 01:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mdapsey!

I agree, removing the bowl would be the first, and possibly the only needed step to fixing this. On the bottom of the carb is a bolt that holds on a metal bowl. Remove this bolt and pull the bowl off. Clean it out well and reinstall and give it a try. Some engines have an electric solenoid screwed in instead of a bolt. It will unscrew the same way.

Old 06-12-04, 12:39 PM
mdapsey
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys I took that off cleaned it and blew a bunch of carb cleaner anywhere I could find a hole in the carburator and it works great.....

Thank you very much for your help I hope I can contribute to someone's problem sometime to return the favor

Mike

Old 06-13-04, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help you Mike! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

Search this Thread