Unequal turning radius on garden tractor, why?

Old 06-11-04, 01:57 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Unequal turning radius on garden tractor, why?

I have a 2002 Craftsman GT3000 graden tractor w/ a 48" deck. The turning radius to the left is roughly 3 1/2', the turning radius to the right is roughly 7'. The manual says that the front tires require a 1/8" toe to ensure proper turning. I have measured the toe and it appears correct. Why is my turning radius so dramatically different left-right?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 03:15 PM
Otoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Curb Adjustment

I'd suspect a bent steering rod. Ever crash into something while in a turn; like hitting a curb? I know this one from experience.

Otoe

Old 06-11-04, 03:39 PM
A model number would help us help you better. If yours for instance has two drag links (versus a drag link and tie rod combination) then one of these drag links likely is bent. If, however, you have the tie rod set up, then somehow the sector gear slipped a tooth, or more, in relation to the steering shaft gear. Let us know what model you have. It likely will begin with - 917.

Old 06-11-04, 06:44 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Unequal turning radius

The model number of the tractor in question is: 917-275023. As far as hitting anything; I have never hit anything, but the previous owner may have. There is no body damage, what can I look for in the way of structural damage?

Old 06-12-04, 09:10 AM
Otoe
Visiting Guest
A bent steering rod. The rod can be bent without any visible body damage.

Old 06-12-04, 11:26 AM
Yep, my steering rod is bent and the turning radius, left/right is different.
Mine has been bent and straightened a number of times. Next time I'll place some type of close fitting pipe,as reinforcement, over the rod when I re-install it.

fred

Old 06-15-04, 04:32 AM
ChuckG,
You have a tie rod/drag link combination set up for your steering. Your steering wheel slips onto a steering shaft, which, at the other end is the shaft gear. This gear mates to a sector gear. It is here where you have trouble. Although this machine is only a couple years old, I have seen the bushings/bearings associated with this assembly wear prematurely which allows the gears to jump and cause the trouble you have. Look this over closely and repair as needed.

Old 06-15-04, 03:53 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Unequeal turning radius

Puey,

Thank you for the information, your advice is always welcome.

Thanks again,

Chuck