Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 11HP Intek electrical capacity

Visiting Guest

06-12-04, 07:54 PM   #1  
czjmp6
Briggs 11HP Intek electrical capacity

I recently got a small riding mower with an 11HP Briggs Intek engine. I'd like to add one or two small 12V headlights but don't want to overtax the electrical system. I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual or on the B&S website to tell me what the current capacity of the charging system is. How can I find out how much current at 12 volts the engine can supply so I can choose the correct wattage headlight(s)?

Sponsored Links

06-13-04, 03:36 AM   #2  
I'm thinking that there are a couple of different size alternators that you could have. I don't think you would have any trouble with a couple of small 12 volt lamps, a lot of small lawn tractors have them. Don't worry about your electrical system. The worst that could happen is that you will run your battery down enough so that you can't get a restart without a recharge or jumper. You can alway hook up an ammeter if you want to know if your particular system is up to running with head lamps.

NY

06-13-04, 01:18 PM   #3  
You will have a wiring harness coming from the alternator (which is located under the flywheel). What color are the wires (two, most likely) and what color is the connector? With the answer of these two questions I can tell you which system you have.

Visiting Guest

06-13-04, 02:54 PM   #4  
czjmp6
There are two black wires coming out of the top of the engine which I'm assuming is from the alternator. As soon as they exit the engine they change to yellow & green via connectors. The yellow goes to what I'm assuming is the ignition and a red come out of the ignition. The red & green then continue to the starter switch.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-13-04, 08:22 PM   #5  
You should be ok, unless you're trying to run some pretty big/strong lamps. I think you have a 9 amp alternator from your description of the wiring.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-15-04, 04:19 AM   #6  
The two black wires indicate you could have anywhere from a 10 amp on up to a 16 amp regulated system. The variation now depends on the size of the magnets under the flywheel. Don't worry about removing the flywheel to measure. Since you have an 11 horse engine, I doubt you have an electric clutch (which requires extra amperage), so it would be very safe to add on two headlights without any interruption in power.

Search this Thread