Ferris hydrostatic drive problem

Old 06-13-04, 08:01 AM
ferris
Visiting Guest

I've got an early 90's Ferris walker with hydrostatic drive. It surges every few seconds in forward and is very slow in reverse. The oil in the reservoir is up to spec but looks a little dirty and hasn't been changed.The cooling fins are clean. Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 01:20 PM
It is essential that the oil be clean. Change this and your trouble will likely go away.

Old 06-24-04, 01:26 PM
ferris
Visiting Guest

Thank you for your input and quick reply!
I just got the mower back after having the hydrostatic oil and filters changed and the belt replaced. It ran OK for a couple of minutes but then had the same loss of drive power I was experiencing before. It is weak going up hills and seems to almost free-wheel going down. Sometimes after using it hard (backing up a hill) in reverse, it won't respond at all for a few minutes, almost as if it's trying to build up pressure again. Any ideas?

Old 06-25-04, 03:48 PM
Without having the unit here in my shop to perform pressure tests, I'd say you have an internal problem with the tranny, specifically the charge pump or possibly the by-pass. Did the mechanic who changed the oil indicate if the oil was unusually dirty? If so, you likely had alot of contaminents in the system and did some damage inside. Make sure, first of all, that the by-pass arm/lever is not to blame. The by-pass is that which makes the machine movable should you ever have an engine break-down whereas it will allow you to freewheel the machine without the engine running.

Old 06-30-04, 07:32 PM
ferris
Visiting Guest

Your going to love this. I re-read the work order from the counter to the shop and it said, "hydro sluggish, change oil and filter". The engine oil looked unusually clean for being 2 months old, so I called back and he told me they changed the engine oil and the air filter and that this machine has no way to drain the hydro without tipping it over (since there's no drain plug) and that the problem had to be caused by the pump. The cost was going to be $1200.00 plus tax and labor. Well, there is a drain plug. A mechanic from another local company helped walk me through the procedure and after changing the oil and cleaning the pulleys and belt there was some improvement, but still some slipping. When engaged, the entire hydro/tranny would rock from the torque. Anyway, both mounting bolts were missing the nuts and replacing them solved the problem. the mower is running like new. I am no mechanic and was very close to ordering that pump. If there weren't people like you who are willing to share information, I would be out quite a bit of money and none the wiser. You kept me going on this project when I otherwise would have left it in someone elses hands and I am sincerely grateful. Well off to fix the weed-wacker...Thanks again

Old 07-02-04, 03:14 PM
Phew! It's hard to find a trustworthy shop. But I sure am glad you got the problem solved for only some blood, sweat and tears - not 1200 fish. Glad we could be here for you. Anything else, you know where to find us.