Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electric Start Problems - White/MTD

Visiting Guest

06-13-04, 05:16 PM   #1  
tk1469
Electric Start Problems - White/MTD

I just bought a White (by MTD) riding mower, 13 HP, Electric Start, B&S Model: 285777. When turning the key - sometimes it cranks over - sometimes not. I charged the battery (in place), also replaced battery with another used one I had - no difference. When it does "crank" - it starts quickly. Otherwise, it runs great.

Any ideas??? The Key switch ?? HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-13-04, 08:16 PM   #2  
Hello tk1469!

Check the solenoid. It is (on most MTDs) under the cover that the gear shifter goes through, between the seat and the dash. There is a small wire that plugs onto it. When it doesn't want to crank, check for 12 volts at that small wire. If you have 12v there, but the solenoid doesn't click and the engine doesn't start, then replace the solenoid. If you don't have power there, check the keyswitch connections for rusty terminals and check the safety switches at the blade engagement handle and the clutch/brake pedal.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-14-04, 05:16 PM   #3  
tk1469
Cheese: Finally got the solenoid off - what a job - to cramped to get at it at battery hole - took seat, fenders, and more off to get at it. I'll probably just replace it to be safe - then clean up all the connections good before reassembly.

If that doesn't work - then I guess I'll check out the other areas -

Thanks for your help.

NY

06-15-04, 04:01 AM   #4  
I think the key here is to clean all the battery related connections, not just at the solenoid but at the battery, key switch and the starter as well.

Visiting Guest

06-16-04, 06:42 PM   #5  
tk1469
Amp-Meter Question - Also

I noticed today in looking at all the electrical connections - that the Ampmeter guage has "no wire" going to it !! Normally it should have at least 1 wire to it - right ? It appears it's been disconnected sometime down the road by the previous owner(s). - is it really required to have??

Any idea what a replacement one would cost?

PS: I've been disconnecting every connection and removing all corrosion with fine emery cloth before reconnecting them.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-18-04, 01:16 AM   #6  
The ampmeter is unnecessary. I think on MTDs, they just loop the main power wire around the metal tube on the back of the meter.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread