BS 5HP Water in Tank

Old 06-21-04, 03:11 PM
shack
Visiting Guest
BS 5HP Water in Tank

I have a 5hp Briggs MODEL NUMBER: 136212 / TYPE: 1015 / TRIM: E2 / CODE: 010214YA on my go-kart. I haven't used it since last fall. I accidently left gas in the go-kart, so I emptied the tank. When I looked closely in the tank, at the very bottom there are little bubbles that look like water in the little remaining gas. How do I remove the water?

Also, I would like to completely strip and clean the carburator. How do I go about doing this? Does anybody know where a walkthrough on how to do that is? Do I just take out the carburator, and soak it in a tub of a solution? If so, what solution should I use? Do I need to replace the carburator gaskets after that? Are there any precautions of doing this?

Thanks!
-David

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 03:22 PM
The gas tank -being used on a kart - likely has a foam, anti-slosh, filter in it making it difficult to blow out any fluids in the tank, but this is all you can do. Remove the tank and turn it upside down and blow out with compressed air until all fluids are removed. As for the carburetor, do just as you suspected. Soak it in NAPA Carburetor Cleaner (part # 6401) for 20 minutes. You must remove all plastic and rubber pieces from the carb first, as this cleaner is very strong and will destroy all rubber components and most plastics. Use caution when using this solution, wearing protective gloves as well as eyewear. I wouldn't worry about the plastic pick-up tube attached to the carb, nor the throttle shaft. These should fare well so long as you don't soak for over 20 minutes. Remove immediately and flush off with a spray-type carb and/or brake cleaner. The only items you will likely have to replace are the tank gasket and the carb mounting gasket. Possibly the cleaner gasket too.

Old 06-21-04, 04:26 PM
Cool Carb help

Originally Posted by shack
I have a 5hp Briggs MODEL NUMBER: 136212 / TYPE: 1015 / TRIM: E2 / CODE: 010214YA on my go-kart. I haven't used it since last fall. I accidently left gas in the go-kart, so I emptied the tank. When I looked closely in the tank, at the very bottom there are little bubbles that look like water in the little remaining gas. How do I remove the water?

Also, I would like to completely strip and clean the carburator. How do I go about doing this? Does anybody know where a walkthrough on how to do that is? Do I just take out the carburator, and soak it in a tub of a solution? If so, what solution should I use? Do I need to replace the carburator gaskets after that? Are there any precautions of doing this?

Thanks!
-David
If you want to take a different approach on the carb, just take and buy some gumout carb cleaner.Follow the instructions and you should be ready to go.

Old 06-22-04, 03:22 AM
Just remember, the above advice doesn't remove the water. Remove the water!

Old 06-22-04, 07:17 AM
shack
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help! I was able to remove the gas tank and also the carburetor for cleaning.

Thanks again!
-David

Old 06-22-04, 07:49 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by puey61
Just remember, the above advice doesn't remove the water. Remove the water!
No it doesn't but that may save him some tome and trouble with the carb but great advice tough abou the water problem.