Craftsman lawn tractor quits when blade engaged.

Old 06-21-04, 08:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman lawn tractor quits when blade engaged.

Geez guys, don't get on me cuz I don't have the model number.
I'll get it as soon as I can. It's at my daughter's house. Just thought someone might have a good(quick) guess on this problem:

Sears Craftsman 17 hp B&S Intek lawn tractor.
The goofy thing dies a couple seconds after I engage the blades. It has a pull switch that works electronicly to engage the blades (not one of those levers which moves/engages an idler pulley).
the blades don't even start to spin/engage, then the engine dies.
the blade drive belts appear to be okay, and I don't see any obstructions.

any guesses??
fred

Old 06-22-04, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hi Fred!

The engine will shut off when the blades are engaged if the seat switch is not operating. The switch is under the seat, has 2 wires, and most on craftsmans are normally closed. Activating the switch actually opens the connection. Unplugging the switch doesn't bypass it though, because the connector has an internal shunt that makes connection when the connector is removed. This is not found on all craftsmans, but most of the newer ones have them.

Old 06-22-04, 03:35 AM
Duh, I was thinking something MORE high tech!!!

Thanks Cheese,
Believe it or not, I even lifted the seat to make sure the dang thing was connected - it never struck me that it might be bad.
That will be the first (and prob only) place I will apply a fix.

I'll let you know,

Thanx again,
fred

Old 06-28-04, 06:34 AM
Thanks again Cheese,

I finally got over to my daughter's to work on the lemon, I mean Craftsman!
You'll probably see me on the news about a congressional hearing! I removed the seat switch and by-passed it with a short piece of wire. Voila, I was able to get some grass mowed for her.

Then later (1/3 of her 1 1/2 acre done), in a tall section of grass I bogged it down and it stalled before I could turn off the blades. Then in trying to re-start it, it started to smoke a bit. It was coming from the main drive pulley and what appears to be a clutch assembly just above it. I checked for any blockages - seemed okay.
Now the dang thing won't even fire and try to start.
I'm perplexed.

Any ideas,
fred

Old 06-28-04, 10:28 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Did it bog down and quit or come to a sudden stop? Might pull the plug and check for spark with that plug, possibly just fouled it out. If the engine spins maybe faster than normal, or an occasional pop or backfire, the flywheel key may have sheared.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: