Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2 small engine problems

06-21-04, 04:20 PM   #1  
2 small engine problems

Hey guys, i have two problems with my outdoor power equipment. i have a murray pushmower that runs and cuts pretty good but itpings when i turn it off sometimes and it tends to bog down when i mow my yard.i have recently replaced the blade,oil, and sparkplug and i have cleaned the carbuerator and the bowl under it.It is a Murray with a 6.0 HP Briggs and Straton Quantum Walk-Behind with self-propelled,bag,mulch,or side-discharge. The Model number is the code is ,and the type is .Please help. Oh yeah, it is a 20 inch cut. http://forum.doityourself.com/newthr...ewthread&f=70#
Confused http://forum.doityourself.com/newthr...ewthread&f=70#
Confused
The other problem is a Weed Eater brand trimmer. The only thing that i know that is wrong with it is the throttle cable is broke but i use my hand to give it throttle. It will only run in half- choke and that is when it wants to.I have cleaned the carbuerator and took out the air filter but it still will not run harldy at all.it is one of the Featherlite Weed Eaters.If you can help Cheese and i know, God Bless, i will give you the model and engine number for both of them.Thanks and i just messing with you Cheese because i have took adivce from you that you gave others plenty of times.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-04, 12:23 AM   #2  
Hello Littleworker!

You say the murray pings when you shut it off? Like a light repetitive metallic ping? or just one loud ping? With just the info you provided, I'd guess that you might have a partially sheared flywheel key.

On the featherlight, have you checked compression? These are disposable trimmers (only cost $58.00 new). I have seen lost of them with low compression and crankcase vacuum leaks, clogged carbs, leaky fuel lines, etc... Have you checked any of these things? Have you made any adjustments to the carb?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-22-04, 07:39 AM   #3  
More info

Hey Cheese, whats up? The murray makes a ping that kind of sounds like a fork or spoon hitting a glass. It also sounds like the string when you give it a pull of 3-5 inches when the engine is running,( i don't do that though). It just pings every now and then like when i have the lawnmower going over a dip in the yard or something.
On the Murray, when i mulch, it tends to bog down and quit, does that mean that i need to turn up the throttle or raise the lawnmower up one height or both of them?
On the Featherlite, I have not made any ajustments to the carb or anything else but i have no way of cheking compression or anything. Could it need a new spark plug, because it has not been changed since we bought it and that was 2 or more years ago.
We bought a new Featherlite Plus for about 70 bucks around 2 months ago and I started it yesterday on half choke like it says, i gave it a little throttle to keep it warm and it quit on me. I went to start it back up and the string come out like it was supposed to but it wouldn't even try to go in. I went to the trimmer part of the weed eater and turned it by hand and the string went in.I pulled it again and still no luck so thats when i got out the old one that wouldn't run . I started it and it ran in half-choke but it wouldn't run with the choke off so i left it at half and used it. As i was using it, the string ran out and it has not been able to start since. Do you have any suggestions about the spark plug idea in the old little one?
My new trimmer is 15 inch cut Featherlite Plus with a 20cc Engine.
Please Help

06-22-04, 05:58 PM   #4  
On the weed trimmer, the spark arrestor may be plugged?

06-22-04, 06:59 PM   #5  
huh?

what is that? where is it?

06-22-04, 07:14 PM   #6  
Should be in the pipe off the muffler. I beleive there's a screw that holds it in place. I had this same problem with a power broom, removed the arrestor and it ran great! Good luck!

06-22-04, 07:16 PM   #7  
thanks dude

i will try that tomorrow if it doesn't storm or rain all day
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!

06-22-04, 07:44 PM   #8  
You're welcome. I hope that's the problem, easy fix! Please let me know how you made out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-04, 01:10 AM   #9  
The reason the mower pings when going over dips is because you have a loose fitting handlebar. When you move the handlebar up and down it pulls the rope a little. This makes the noise, like you said, like when you pull the rope with the engine running. That's what you're doing.

Does the murray have a mulching blade? If not, it will bog when you mulch. If it does, you might just be cutting it too low, or trying to mulch grass that is too high for mulching.

A spark plug probably won't help the trimmer. Sounds like a carb related issue. Possibly restricted exhaust.

God bless!

06-23-04, 08:05 AM   #10  
thanks for the help guys

On the Weed Eater, i am going to go out there sometime today and fix that hopefully and i will let you know how it goes. The Murray has a handlebar that moves back and forth to make it easieer to help it go up a hill so i will probably just take the string off the handlebar . I just recently put a maxpower mulching blade on it but it was the medium and not the best. I can mulch our front yard fine but the back yard is to thick to mulch unless it is realtively short. I will just raise the lawnmower up when i mow the back and try that, if it doesn't work
then i will get the riding lawnmower a starter and just mow it with that. On the murray, it has and electric start and it will only work some of the time, could i get a ignition tune-up kit for it and make it work or should i just replace the battery?Thanks for all of the help guys!
i did notice the weed eater was making a funny sound and it sounded like it was havig trouble power so i will clean the exhaust and remove that piece. I have already cleaned the carb with Gumout Carb Cleaner but i will check it when i clean out the muffler. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by littleworker; 06-23-04 at 08:08 AM. Reason: the weed eater

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-04, 11:01 PM   #11  
An ignition tune up kit won't do anything for electric starter operation. A battery might...depends on what's wrong. You'll need a voltmeter to find out.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-24-04, 04:14 PM   #12  
NAPA182
Yeah on the Weed Eater it does sound like the carb or the spark arrestor problem.The same thing happend to mine and i just removed the spark arrestor and it ran fine . This is after i cleaned the carb.You mite want to check the primer if it has one. Sometimes if they are riped the motor will only run on full choke.

06-28-04, 08:37 AM   #13  
Good and bad news

The good news is we had a brand new weed eater featherlite plus and the string wouldn't go back in. I took it back and bought a new YardMan 400 Trimmer with a 31 cc engine and 17 inch cut. When i got it i couldn't get it started so it started to look at it and realized the spark plug was disconnected(duh kyle) and then i fiinally got it started. Yesterday i was eding around the road and the trimmer quit on me 4-5 times so i just gave up on it. We went to Lowes and while we were there i got to thinking, the starting instructions tell you to prime the bulb until fuel was in the trimmer bulb and it was always there so i seen no reason to prime it ( another stupid mistake). When we got back from Lowes i went outside and primed the trimmer 6x and it started and ran just fine: before, when it was in the run setting, if you gave it any throttle at all it would quit.
Bad nes is on the featherlite trimmer, i could not remove the muffler i had the engine out of the trimmer and i still couldn't. I went ahead and cleaned the carb and putit back together and i put the weed eater back together without cleaning the spark arrestor. I gave it one pull and it started right up and fuel stated to run out every where. I figured out that the fuel line was cut from the tank but it ran fine besides that thanks alot guys and if i need any help i will know who to go to.

Search this Thread