Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite trimmer not running correctly

Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 07:08 AM   #1  
cmarquette
Homelite trimmer not running correctly

I have a Homelite trimmer that is giving me some problems. I don't have the model number as I am at work, but it is the model that has the prime return back to the gas tank. If it's needed I can post the model this evening.

When it starts, it revs up like it should for about 1-2 seconds, dies down and sputters then revs up, but not as high as the first. Each time it dies down and revs back up, it's lower and lower until it sputters and dies. Then it doesn't start until I pull the plug and dry it off. I have no idea why it does this, so any help is appreciated!

Please ask if you need more information!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 10:33 AM   #2  
Azis
It is possible that your choke is not opening, the butterfly maybe incorporated in your air filter housing or could be part of the carburetor, make sure after it starts that the choke butterfly goes to full open.
If the choke is opening it maybe that the needle and seat in the carb is not performing.
When you find the wet spark plug, is the evidence of fuel running out of the carb? smell of gas? Also may try with the trimmer cold, WITHOUT priming do you get the same symptoms?

NY

06-22-04, 10:39 AM   #3  
Is the fuel mixture you're running fresh from this year? In other words, not left over from last year!! Have you tried a new spark plug as well?

Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 10:47 AM   #4  
cmarquette
Azis:
The starting instructions say to choke it until it tries to start then switch it to the second position and start it, then switch it to run. When it's in the run position, the butterfly is full open. I do have fuel running out of the carb.

It won't start with the air filter on, so I removed it to diagnose. If I tilt the carb side down before I remove the wet spark plug, a little gas runs out.

puey61:
Yes, fresh from this year. Would an incorrect mixture of oil/gas do this? I don't believe it is incorrect, if so, it can't be too far off.

NY

06-22-04, 10:49 AM   #5  
Have you tried a new plug yet? It sounds ignition related. That is why I ask.

Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 01:55 PM   #6  
cmarquette
I haven't tried a new plug yet. I'm going to try that. Someone suggested it could be the filter in the gas tank. So I might try removing that as well.

Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 04:00 PM   #7  
Azis
You can quickly check the plug and ignition for spark by pulling the spark plug, connecting it to the high tension lead and holding the threaded portion of the plug firmly against a grounding surface on the trimmer, and pull the start cord.

If it will not start with the airfilter on, and fuel is present, but will with it off, generally indicates it is getting more fuel to air than it can handle. With the air filter off it still does not run correctly, but does run...? Should eliminate the filter as part of the problem, however should be cleaned or replaced.
If you can verify you have spark, then get it running and it quits and will not fire, immediatley recheck for spark as I mentioned above.
Also keep your old plug (if you have already purchased a new one) until the trimmer is fixed, what does it look like how old etc. are things that may help further trouble shooting.
Also check the hoses to and from the tank carb and primer bulb, assure they are in good condition and connected well.

Visiting Guest

06-22-04, 04:17 PM   #8  
cmarquette
It does have spark, except after it dies and the plug is wet. Once it's dry, it sparks again. If it is getting more fuel than air, is there an adjustment on the carb? I guess I just need to sit down and mess with it some more.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-04, 01:17 AM   #9  
Hello cmarquette!

Two things that can cause fuel running out of the carb:

Either the needle valve in the carb is not sealing well and needs to be removed and cleaned and or replaced, or... the muffler is restricted causing too much backpressure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-23-04, 03:24 AM   #10  
My opinion is carburetor related issues, but by all means, check the muffler and exhaust port for restrictions.

Visiting Guest

06-23-04, 10:35 AM   #11  
cmarquette
Thank you all for your replies! I will check the carb and muffler tonight and I will post my findings. Hopefully, I will be able to say it's running again!

Search this Thread