mower quits on downhill or side slope

Old 06-22-04, 09:04 AM
monch66
Visiting Guest
Red face mower quits on downhill or side slope

Hi folks,

Here is my situation. I have a 4hp techimseh mtd mower that quits on downhill or side slope. If a tip the mower deck up it is fine. It seems to idle fine and is great on flat land, and even on uphill runs. any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Condon

PS this site is awesome! Great advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-04, 10:22 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
On slopes or different angles the fuel in the tank can run away from the outlet, the mower should continue running for short times by using fuel from the fuel bowl on the carburetor.
It may be that the fuel flow from the tank to the Carb is restricted somewhat not allowing the fuel bowl to fill completely.
Make sure there is sufficient fuel in the tank, pull the fuel line off at the carb, there should be a steady stream when the end of the line is held below the bottom of the tank. If not you will want to check for restriction, try loosening the cap on the tank to check the cap vent, check the bottom of the tank for debris, fuel filter and fuel lines.
If you do find a restriction from dirt or other debris in the tank filter or lines, correct it, and then you may want to check one more thing just for preventitive measure. Your Carb most likely has a "Bowl" (little can on the bottom, I have always known as a sediment bowl) with a bolt in the bottom. Disconnect and plug the fuel line, remove the bolt and the bowl. The bolt will also have a passage or holes in it. Clean the bowl and blow throug the bolt to clear the holes.

Old 06-22-04, 10:47 AM
First, simply do this. Top off the fuel tank and take it to your hill and try it in every direction on the hill. Let us know if any trouble occurs and if only in certain directions, which directions. Then we will need to know where, in relation to the operator, the muffler is.

Old 06-22-04, 10:57 AM
monch66
Visiting Guest
Ok guys i tried the full tank and her are the results.

The mower seems to be flooding and sputtrers when I mow down hill or on a sideways. If I tilt the deck towards me it seems to be ok but if it does quit completely, I have to wait about 2 minutes to get it started again. It smells like it is flooded. Oh, the muffler is on the left hand side and the gas tank is at the rear.

Thanks,

Dave Condon

Last edited by monch66; 06-22-04 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 04:13 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for good fuel flow at the inlet of the carb yet?

Old 06-22-04, 04:24 PM
monch66
Visiting Guest
Yes, fuel supply seems to be fine. Could the fact the the fuel tank is at the back be flooding the engine?

Dave Condon

Old 06-22-04, 07:12 PM
Cool help for you

Hey i'm the guy with the 2 small engine probelms. My Murray pushmower done this to me and here is what I did and wht you need to do. Check your carb to see if it has a bowl under it if it does then this will work. Draiin your Fuel Tank or syphoon it out. Make sure your engine is cool and your spark plug is diconnected. Remove the bowl and be careful because there will be fuel that will run out every where. There should be a round piece that is a float, move that piece up and down easily and slowly and fuel should begin to come out. Clean the bowl, and put it back on the lawnmower but do not overtighten. fill the tank 1/4 of the way and reconnect the spark plug. Clean up any gas that may have spilled. Start the Lawnmower and let it run for about 10- 20 seconds and then if you can give it full throttle for about 5-10 seconds and you should be ready to go.of that doesn't work then you need to get some gumout Carb cleaner a a small engine shop or at Walmart or any place that may carry it. good Luck but all of that made my mower work fine.If you need more advice let me know.

Old 06-22-04, 07:14 PM
Also use

Originally Posted by Azis
On slopes or different angles the fuel in the tank can run away from the outlet, the mower should continue running for short times by using fuel from the fuel bowl on the carburetor.
It may be that the fuel flow from the tank to the Carb is restricted somewhat not allowing the fuel bowl to fill completely.
Make sure there is sufficient fuel in the tank, pull the fuel line off at the carb, there should be a steady stream when the end of the line is held below the bottom of the tank. If not you will want to check for restriction, try loosening the cap on the tank to check the cap vent, check the bottom of the tank for debris, fuel filter and fuel lines.
If you do find a restriction from dirt or other debris in the tank filter or lines, correct it, and then you may want to check one more thing just for preventitive measure. Your Carb most likely has a "Bowl" (little can on the bottom, I have always known as a sediment bowl) with a bolt in the bottom. Disconnect and plug the fuel line, remove the bolt and the bowl. The bolt will also have a passage or holes in it. Clean the bowl and blow throug the bolt to clear the holes.
also use gumout Carb Cleaner

Old 06-23-04, 01:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Dave!

Sounds like you have a bit of water in the carburetor bowl and the carb is picking it up when the engine is tilted enough.