Kohler K-241 10 Hp

Old 06-23-04, 06:21 PM
Kohler K-241 10 Hp

Hi Guys,

Problem with my 30+ year old Allis-Chalmers 710 garden tractor. The Kohler engine was rebuilt last year to include the starter and carb. It runs really sweet ... well when it runs. The problem just started the other day, the "new" battery didn't have the guts to turn it over. I jumped it from another machine and it ran great ... till it just stopped about 45 minutes later. No sputter, revving or anything ... just stopped. I jumped it again and it ran for about ten minutes, and died again. I jumped it again and it died as soon as I removed the cables. Leaving the cables on the other battery kept it running.

So I'm looking at the ammeter and no deflection ... am I right that it is not charging the battery and once the battery dies the engine goes with it? Looking at the Simplicity 7010 ... this is supposed to be the new/old AC710 ... it shows a part called the circuit breaker. This is a small rectangular can type component that is inline between the positive battery post and the starter. Could this be my culprit? If so where can I get it online?

So many questions so little knowledge.

Thanks in advance y'all do a super job.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 10:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello tea3803!

Nice old tractor you've got there!

The problem shouldn't be in that "circuit breaker" if it's just between the starter and battery. Do you have a voltmeter? You'll need to get the engine started and check the voltage at the charge wire to determine if it is charging or not. If so, check at the battery. If it's charging there, then you have a bad battery. If not, then there is a problem between the battery and the charge wire. The regulator/rectifier is a common place for problems.

Old 06-24-04, 12:00 PM
Although you didn't mention which type of ignition you have, it sounds to me that you have a battery ignition system, whereas it is essential to have a good, clean battery with ample amperage. This type ignition relies on the battery to produce spark. Have the battery tested at a local battery shop or automotive store for sufficient amperage. If not, replace the battery. If so, clean ALL the wires related to the starting system as well as the ignition system.

Old 06-25-04, 05:39 AM
Okay, I did buy a new battery last month. Forgot to add that. The generator is a 15 amp and is built into/around the starter motor. I have yet to get out (rain rain rain) and do the checks Cheese recommended. Will get there soon.

Thanks
Tom

Old 06-26-04, 12:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, starter/generator. The rectifier box, for lack of a better word at the moment, is a good place to look for problems. Usually, if the starter turns the engine, then it will also charge when the engine is running. The problem is often that the contacts in the rectifier box get dirty and corroded and don't make the switch from starter to generator.

Old 07-03-04, 09:27 PM
Thumbs up Fixed

Well not as easily as the title says. I ended up getting a new rectifier regulator ... I could find no other reason for the not charging problem ... installed same and jump started the tractor. It started right up and with a smile on my face I pulled the jumper cables and it died! I was lost, then the light came on ... the alternator trickle charges the battery, not one big shot and its charged. I left the jumpers on for about five to ten minutes removed the cables and she was purring. Left it running for about 20 minutes (my Dad used to do this when he lost his battery charge on the car) and shut it down. With fingers crossed I turned the key and viola she started. Cut the back forty ... okay back one and a half acres ... and she never burped.

Only problem now is the Kohler rep won't guarantee that I'll get 30 plus years out of this rectifier regulator like I did the last one!!

Thanks guys

Old 07-05-04, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help!

Old 07-16-04, 09:24 AM
When it rains it pours

Okay so the problems come in threes right?

Started getting this god awful noise from the mower deck when the blades were engaged. Checked the spindles and the pulley shafts. Well lo and behold the main pulley connector ... no idea what its really called ... the one with the "stinson key?" was all wobbley. Pulled the three bolts, removed the pulley and the connector. The key and connector were verrrrrry worn and in need of replacement.

Okay guys where do I get one?

Thanks again and again and again.

Tom

Old 07-17-04, 10:11 AM
I'm not positive on this one, but check with a Simplicity dealer.

Old 07-17-04, 04:11 PM
Yep

That was my next step. I was hoping to get something off the web. Thanks though for the reply.

Old 07-22-04, 02:45 PM
$73.63 later ...

Well fixed again, I was missing a huge nut (1 1/8") from the top of the main spindle shaft. It was always noisy but it got worse and thats when I found all this. So along with the nut, a couple washers, a new shaft, new keys, bearings and a new belt.

Good news I found an AGCO dealer within 50 miles. AGCO bought out Deutsch-Allis who bought out Allis-Chalmers. So I get my parts and documents on the parts blow ups. Nice people too and that means a lot to me.

All is well on my 30+ year old relic. Now I hope it goes for a bit before the next hiccup.

Old 07-24-04, 08:51 AM
Fortune too, comes in three's. Glad you're back up and running. Anything else...you know where to find us!