Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Washer Leak- Seal?

Visiting Guest

06-25-04, 10:08 PM   #1  
2dynamic
Power Washer Leak- Seal?

Not sure how to ascertain the engine and pump model. But I have a question- while using my Ex-cell 2300 PSI Power washer for about the 5th time- water came gushing out- right underneath the exhaust manifold- the motor kept on running fine- until i turned it off- I had some air in the unit- and was frequently releasing pressure after I attached a RUNNING hose to the unit- in other words- just in order to crank it- had to let off pressure- well for some reason it took about 4 minutes until I could get a steady flow of water pressure- and then boom - a water burst- and the engine kept cranking along- I had to turn it off. My question - I speant like $300 on the unit- used it 5 x and I have a sneaking feeling that PAYING someone else to repair it will cost more than a new one. Mayber a seal of some kind or a plunger- or packings- Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a viable solution without essentially paying the cost of a new unit just for the repair? How do I identify the parts to order them? Thank you. I am feeling a little like a sucker at the moment- I want to fix my unit so I can stop getting these comments from my wife about what a poor product I spent so much money for! Please help me sell her on the idea that this is a fine product with just an unfortunate turn of events.Thanks so much.. Bill

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-26-04, 12:17 AM   #2  
Hello Bill!

What are you referring to as the exhaust manifold? The muffler on the engine? Is this model one that has the engine on top, and the pump underneath, or are they side by side? Sounds like the unloader valve went bad and caused excessive pressure buildup.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-29-04, 07:08 AM   #3  
2dynamic
Power Washer-

Hello Cheese:

The engine is on the top and the pump is on the bottom- water came bursting out- right under the muffler- other wise the engine runs great-
I turned the engine off immediately-

Is it repairable? How complicated is the repair?

Bill

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-04, 12:20 AM   #4  
No idea what went bad. Look and see where the water is coming from. It could be a burst case, a valve blown out, a popoff valve blown, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-30-04, 05:25 AM   #5  
2dynamic
Power Washer

Thank you for your input- I guess I'll tinker around with it- hopefully I'll find the problem.

Thanks Again Cheese-

Bill

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-30-04, 05:45 AM   #6  
Bill,

What is the complete model of your washer?

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

06-30-04, 06:00 AM   #7  
2dynamic
washer

I will check this evening and get back to you asap-

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-30-04, 07:34 PM   #8  
Please respond here rather than a pm, more will learn that way...............Thanks

2dynamic wrote:

"Hello Greg- I was not sure how to respond to you in the forum as I responded previously-
here are the links to the power washer documentation as well as the power washer pump specifically-
http://www.soundadvicelabs.com/2med...ower_washer.pdf
and...
http://www.soundadvicelabs.com/2medical/pump_parts.pdf
Please take a look and let me know what you think-
thank you!!
Bill"

Bill,

If water came from beneath the exhaust manifold that would be from within the pump cover.
You will have to remove the cover, connect water to the pump and see where it comes out, using the parts list to guide you.

If you were getting a lot of air the leak could be on the inake side but your inspection should reveal the location.

Hopefully you followed the instructions about checking the oil and did it frequently.
Sometimes the pump oil is shipped separately and it would be easy to forget to add.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread