ryobi 725r 31cc starter recoil problem

Old 06-27-04, 09:34 AM
ryobi2004
Visiting Guest
ryobi 725r 31cc starter recoil problem

The rope will not rewind on the string trimmer. I have taken the boom trimmer off but don't know how to get to the recoil starter mechanism to see if the spring is binding or broken. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Also, how would you get the repair manual CD?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-04, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello ryobi2004!

I'm not looking at a breakdown of your model, but if I remember right, The starter housing is just bolted onto the front of the trimmer.

The manual would be available through Ryobi, if one is available (on CD).

Old 06-28-04, 03:28 PM
You will have to remove the engine from the starter housing. To do this, take the carburetor cover off and disconnect the throttle cable at the carb., remove the five torx-head screws from the starter housing (at the front of the powerhead), the engine assembly will fall out. You will need to remove the two kill wires at the ground switch and you will then see the rewind starter. Use caution whenever servicing the rewind assembly, the spring is under alot of tension. Note, you will not have to remove the boom as you have previously done.

Old 06-30-04, 09:12 AM
ryobi2004
Visiting Guest
Thanks so far for the help. Do you happen to know what size torx screws are used in the starter housing?
I like the 725r trimmer and this is the first time I have had any problem in alomost 4 years of use.

Old 06-30-04, 09:58 AM
Torx size is T-20.