Snapper with spark problem

Old 06-27-04, 11:26 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Snapper with spark problem now govening prob

Snapper model # 331135
11HP briggs Model 252707
Initially I tested for spark with an inline tester and got no spark until I removed the ground from the coil. So I chased down a short to the gear lever switch. I then could get spark on my tester. Next I pulled the plug to test spark and got none, I tried 2 other plugs and was able to get one to spark. Put it in and tried it with no luck. Tested with the tester again and nothing, pulled the ground from the coil and now nothing again. Is this normal for a failing magnatron? I checked resitance on the coil at 2.7K Ohms. Is a non-returnable part the next step for trouble shooting?
Also I removed the flywheel for inspection and cleaning, (Ok I was looking for points) and found a Stator/Coil? Is this a lighting coil? The mower has no lights but the owners manual shows the option. It was pretty fouled up with Dirt rust…….cleaned with compressed air only. The wire connected to it goes to the battery side of the start switch.

Last edited by Azis; 06-30-04 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-04, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The stator coil is what charges the battery.

If you get no spark with a new spark plug and the kill wire disconnected from the coil and a .010" air gap between the armature legs and the flywheel magnet, then you have a bad coil. Check the secondary wire to be sure it's not shorting against anything.

Old 06-28-04, 12:39 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Ok I went out this morn to verify the tests on the coil and same result I could get spark in my test lite but not with a plug. So I grabbed the coil for my run to the parts store and was out of all but a plug I needed
When I got back I went to put the coil back on reading "cyl side" and "this side out" on the coil oriented it correctly and noticed that the ground wire and High tension leads routed a bit different now. Removed verified I was reading correctly, installed all and it fired up.
Apparently previous trouble shooting the ground problem I found, resulted in removal and incorect reinstalation of the coil.....
Lucky 40 bucks saved, maybe the boss will let me off for some fishin..

Old 06-30-04, 10:24 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Now that I have this thing running, I have gone through the carb and now it want to run rampid. The govenor lever is not allowing the throttle to close. According to my briggs manual, looks like I have a mechanical govenor. I adjusted it acording to the book, and the shaft does rotate and stop in both directions. I adjusted the spring tab, again according to the book, with no help. I know how the vane types work, but from the diagrams not sure how the internal mechanical one works, (havent been inside one of these since high school) My book gives service instruction but no theory.

Old 06-30-04, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the throttle shaft in the carb. Many times they are stuck and need to be worked loose. Also check the linkages. Can you slow the engine down by hand (closing the throttle by moving the governor lever?)

Old 07-01-04, 09:56 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Thx Cheese,
Turned out to be just getting the spring tension and the carb adjusted all in sinc enuff to let everything get happy. Puppy was a bit finicky but running good now.