Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PTO problem

06-28-04, 08:25 AM   #1  
PTO problem

I have a Troy Built Y809P 25HP Garden Tractor and the Electric PTO stopped working. It worked fine the day before. I tried it the next day, and when I pull it out - nothing. Can anyone provide a suggestion for such a failure? Can anyone at least point me to a wiring diagram?

One of the features of the PTO switch is that it will not allow the mower to be started when the switch is engaged (pulled out). That function still works.

The "troubleshooting" section of the owner's manual doesn't mention any PTO problems.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-29-04, 12:15 AM   #2  
Hello mcjunk!

Look down near the engine pulleys under the mower frame. You will see the clutch, and the wires coming from it. There are 2. Check with a voltmeter across those 2 wires with the key and clutch turned on, and someone sitting on the seat. Let us know what voltage reading you get there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-29-04, 06:01 AM   #3  
I looked under the frame, above the mowing deck and couldn't see anything (wires). That was before your recommendation. I am assuming I need to remove the mowing deck to get under the mower to find the wiring. I will try it tonight. Are the wires simply attached to spade terminals so they can be removed and tested?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-04, 12:23 AM   #4  
It's under the engine. It is a pulley with a coil and set of wires coming from it. You unplug the wires at the connector, which will be under the hood area and check across the 2 spade terminals.

God bless!

06-30-04, 05:44 AM   #5  
I did as you recommended and was not getting any voltage to the connector. I spent some time tracing out wires and hopefully found the problem in an "unrelated" area. Since I wasn't getting any voltage to the clutch, I will assume that it is good. The connector, the wiring back to the PTO switch, the harness that connects to the PTO switch, and the PTO switch all appear to be good. I haven't done any continuity or voltage checks at the switch. It's kind of difficult to trace out the wiring without a diagram, especially as crowded as it is under the hood and with the array of flex that the wiring runs in and out of, but it appears that the PTO switch gets it's voltage from the ignition switch. The ignition switch, which I failed to mention because I didn't know it might be relevant, is in bad shape and has been getting worse. The key was lost not long after I got it, so a screwdriver has been used instead. My wife does most of the mowing on it, and she has used different sized screwdrivers and the switch is pretty much stripped out. Anyway, I'm hoping that the problem is that somehow the ignition switch is not relaying the voltage to the PTO switch. The ignition switch needs to be replaced anyway, so I ordered another one and will see if the problem is fixed. If not, I'll go from there.

Does the ignition switch sound like it could be the culprit? It seems that the switch does not automatically completely disengage the starter. The screwdriver has to be slightly turned toward the off position after starting to completely disengage the starter. I think if I try to engage the PTO when the starter is still slightly engaged, there is a horrible sharp grinding sound. That appears to be the only time that voltage must be making it's way to the PTO switch.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-04, 10:42 PM   #6  
Harsh grinding sound!!?? That's not good in any case. Yes, the ignition switch could have an effect on the pto clutch, but wouldn't cause the grinding sound. When you get a good switch on there, let us know how it goes.

God bless!

07-01-04, 06:08 AM   #7  
The harsh sound is typical of trying to engage a starter flywheel when an engine is already running. My guess (hope) is that the ignition switch is so stripped out internally that some of the contacts have been shorted or are being shorted together by the screwdriver (key). Without benefit of a wiring diagram and lack of motivation to try and figure out the problem further (at this point), I'm not really sure exactly what is happening. It's one of those situations where I need to replace a suspect part anyway, so I'll replace it and keep my fingers crossed. I'm not replacing the PTO switch for two reasons. First of all it looks and feels good and secondly a new one costs 35 bucks. If the new one was below, say 20 bucks, I may have ordered one with the rest of the parts just in case. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-02-04, 01:08 AM   #8  
Ok, I misunderstood that the pto was making the harsh grinding sound. Yes, the starter will make a racket when engaged into an already running engine.

God bless!

Search this Thread