Need help replacing "gator" blades on Homelite

Old 06-28-04, 04:23 PM
mfisher1
Visiting Guest
Need help replacing "gator" blades on Homelite

I'm new to this board, and unlike some of the posts I've read, my Homelite SX-135 "Bandit" runs very well. It was a hand-me-down from my father, so maybe he worked some magic on it.
I realize that engine problems are mainly discussed here, but wondered if someone could help with the other end of my trimmer.
My problem is that I cannot remove the head to replace the "gator" blades which are currently in place to cut heavier grass. The bolt on the bottom of the trimmer has a plastic sheath around it that does not leave any room to fit any type of wrench or ratchet so that I can loosen it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-04, 07:57 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The plastic sheath as you describe it sounds like a knurled knob? If so that is used to loosen the nut holding the blades. Look on the knob and you may find arrows pointing to loosen and tighten.....usually these are reverse threaded to prevent the head from coming loose due to engine rotation, meaning righty = loosen, lefty = tighten
Sometimes a big pair of Adjustable jaw pliers or even a pipe wrench can be used to "PERSUADE" not Mutilate, the critter loose

Search this Thread