Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton 5hp no spark

Visiting Guest

06-30-04, 06:34 PM   #1  
pmcdevitt
Briggs & Stratton 5hp no spark

Hello all :-)

I inherited an older Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) tiller with a 5hp B&S engine. I drained/replaced the old oil & gas, replaced the spark plug, checked the carb and choke operation (didn't adjust anything here though) and gave her a few pulls to see if she would start. The engine has plenty of compression and does not knock nor clank alarmingly when being pulled. However, it does not seem to be getting any spark and I was just wondering what would cause this? Since she is an old girl is it worth my while trying to get her to go, or is a lack of spark indicative of expensive problems?

Many Thanks, and my compliments on a great forum!

Peter

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-04, 10:17 PM   #2  
Hello Peter!

You said :" However, it does not seem to be getting any spark and I was just wondering what would cause this? ". Are you certain it is not sparking? How did you check? Have you tried a new spark plug?

With a new plug touching metal on the engine, try cranking it while watching for spark. If you have none, unplug the kill wire from the coil and try again. If you have spark then, then you have a problem in the kill wire or switch. If not, you have a bad coil (if this is a solid-state ignition). If this has points, and you have no sprak, I would suggest doing away with the points and installing a new solid state coil. They are much more reliable and efficient.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread