Craftsman gas trimmer starting problems

Old 07-03-04, 04:06 PM
rynoski
Visiting Guest
Craftsman gas trimmer starting problems

Hey folks,

Got a craftsman gas powered line trimmer and recently it has hadsome problems. One day out of the blue I go to pull the trigger and the thing just haults. Trying to get to start ever since then and no luck. The air filter is squeaky clean, and the plug has been replaced.

The most unusual thing is that it does attempt to start once in a while and then when you go to pull the trigger to give it gas it goes pooey.

I thought at one time that the gas can we used accidentally got water in it and contaminated the gas... But im not sure what that would do to a 2 cycle engine. I need to gap the plug correctly for sure but other than that can anyone give any insight to this problem? Im not convinced that a carb overhaul is necessary but I dont know??

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks
Ryno

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 11:27 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you suspect water in the fuel, drain the old gas and replace. You may be able to remove the lines from the primer bulb, and pump the fuel out of the carb(shouldnt be much)
If your muffler has a screen (spark arrestor) make sure it is clean or replace it. If it does attempt to start, check your fuel supply and tank vent. If all that checks good, try some raw gas, (about a teaspoon) in the carb, if it comes to life then it most likely is carb adjustment or related.

Old 07-04-04, 01:03 PM
rynoski
Visiting Guest
Hey Azis - thanks for the tips and help.
I have a follow up question or 2 though.

You said to try some raw gas in the unit, about a teaspoon, only thing I saw after cleaning the fuel filter was a small hole in the carbeurator body, where exactly does this teaspoon go into?

Also what solution do i need to saok the spark arrestor in? water , wd-40, gas???

I have already gotten rid of much of the gas I assumed was contaminated, but I think it may have also been in the gas tank itself. So Im going to get a new gas can and some more gas and start fresh...

Thanks for the help
Ryno

Old 07-04-04, 02:27 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Remove the air filter and housing, you will be able to see the throat of the carb, if part of the air filter housing is still attatched 2 or 3 small bolts should allow removal of it so you can better see the carb. You can also view the movement of the choke and throttle butterfly/valve. Few drops in the throat should fire it up if you have good spark.

Old 07-07-04, 06:50 PM
rynoski
Visiting Guest
but what about the spark arrestor?

Originally Posted by Azis
Remove the air filter and housing, you will be able to see the throat of the carb, if part of the air filter housing is still attatched 2 or 3 small bolts should allow removal of it so you can better see the carb. You can also view the movement of the choke and throttle butterfly/valve. Few drops in the throat should fire it up if you have good spark.
What solution should i clean the spark arrestor to get it really clean?? gas? water? wd-40??

thanks in advance...

Old 07-08-04, 07:49 AM
Cool

get a wire brush like you use on the grill but not them grills brush because you don't want that stuff in your . just soak it in water water for a little bit like 5-10 minutes and then take it out and wire brush it real good and eveything should come right off. just make suar you wipe it off real good with an old towel or rag before you put it back in to prevent rust and dirt in you engine and exhaust. good luck and hope this helps.

Old 07-08-04, 10:16 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Personally I use carb and choke cleener, brake cleen or even starter fluid as they will evaporate fairly quick. Water has a tendency to hang around even after using compressed air. A small pocket knife or straigt edge can be used to scrape the screen.