Weedeater gas hedge trimmer dies

Old 07-03-04, 04:25 PM
joshiaparra
Visiting Guest
Weedeater gas hedge trimmer dies

My gas trimmer starts fine then idles. Once I squeeze the trigger it dies right out, especially if I sqeeze it all the way down. Looked in the air thing and it is nice and clean, sponge is clean, I can see the mechanism moving inside when I pull the trigger. Im gonna try a new plug but what else could it be? How would I check if the fuel line is clogged?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-04, 04:51 PM
rynoski
Visiting Guest
funny- you have the exact same problem I do. IF you find the answer somewhere post your answer in here... I'll do the same...
Ryno

Old 07-03-04, 05:22 PM
joshiaparra
Visiting Guest
sounds good, I have the weedeater ght 22 what do you have. Mine has a customer service # on it at 1-800-554-6723 but they are closed for the holiday weekend.

Old 07-03-04, 08:37 PM
sceptre
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

try turning the hi idle screw counter-clockwise 1/4,to richen the mixture.
your may have to go back 1/8 a turn to increase your top speed.

i hope this helps you out.

Old 07-03-04, 11:12 PM
rynoski
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by sceptre
try turning the hi idle screw counter-clockwise 1/4,to richen the mixture.
your may have to go back 1/8 a turn to increase your top speed.

i hope this helps you out.
Nope - that wont do it... at least not on mine.

I have a Craftsman Weedwacker model 358.795140

Old 07-04-04, 11:40 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hi rynoski,
On you model I would check the spark arrestor, you will need to remove the muffler to access it. It is just a screen and usually can soak it then scrape it like burnt toast and maybe poke something in the holes that dont clean by scraping. If you go to this site http://www3.sears.com/ enter your model # then view the diagram for the crankshaft/crankcase you can see where it is.
If this does not do it sounds like it may be fuel restriction either tank vent filter lines or carb...

Old 07-07-04, 10:43 AM
johntcc1
Visiting Guest
There is a procedure in the manual to adjust the mixture. My 4 cycle trimmer has two adjustment screws. I have to adjust these every once in a while to correct the symptoms you describe. Also check for holes in the fuel lines. You should be able to see small air bubbles if the lines have a problem.

Last edited by johntcc1; 07-07-04 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 07-07-04, 10:55 AM
Cool

you may not be letting it warm up long enough. i have a brand new yardman 31cc weed wacker and when i start it in half choke, i give throtlle for ten seconds and the let it idle for another 20 seconds. i flip it to run and give it just a quick throttle and it will run fine and it wll not die on me when i give it throttle anymore. i would also check and clean the spark arrestor. everything should be fine after that. good luck.