Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Batteries

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 09:30 AM   #1  
Freqhog
Lawn Tractor Batteries

Hey I just need to know one thing about my tractor battery.

I have a old LandMark tractor, it used to work fine a year ago on my old 12 volt, 14amp battery. I had to replace the battery this year because it wouldnt start on me. I accidently bought a 12 volt 9amp battery and when i drive it, it always stalls on me! I've had it running with new gas+oil. But it still randomly stalls. When I put the blades down it stalls also. Thx in advance to anyone that knows if its the battery i bought?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 09:59 AM   #2  
Azis
It shouldn't be caused by a battery, the amp rating on a battery usually refers to "Cranking amps" which applies during starting, once the engine is started the charging circuit should take over putting out slightly more juice than your battery, in order to run other electricals and recharge the battery.
When you say it "stalls" does it hicup and keep running or does it just die...?

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 10:04 AM   #3  
Freqhog
Sometimes it hicups and dies, or just dies

*the tractor is about 25 years old, lol

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 10:16 AM   #4  
Azis
I would suspect fuel blockage to begin with, possibly some trash floating around in your tank or else where in your fuel system...especially if it starts back up within a short time. If it needs a while before it will refire, you could check for spark at the plug immediatly after it dies. If you have spark and it still wont start rite back up, try a shot of fuel or spray in the carb, if it fires, this is a pretty good indication you have a fuel restriction somewhere.

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 10:23 AM   #5  
Freqhog
it starts back up if i re start it, every time.

Also if i put the blades down when i have it going it stalls, do u think that has to do with the blelt?

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 10:41 AM   #6  
Azis
I would suspect that to be part of the same problem, when you engage the blades the engine has to work harder to keep up with the extra load and requires more fuel to perform that work.
On a tractor 25 yrs old I would not think there is much in the way of saftey switches, but have seen such cause similar problems.
Still sounding like a fuel issue to me but maybe Cheese or Puey have more of an idea being they are the old and wise I am just old

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 10:44 AM   #7  
Freqhog
I just want to cut my grass!!! *insert crying face here*

07-06-04, 10:56 AM   #8  
does it make any pings or shake very bad? you may have dirty fuel or not enough going to the carb. is the air filter dirty or bolcked? if you have a bowl under the carb you may want to clean that out. if you can get you some brigg and stratton fuel stabilizer plus at walmart or somewhere. it cleans the carb and keeps your fuel fresh for up to 24 months. hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 11:46 AM   #9  
Freqhog
I did add some stabilizer to the old gas, but it has already ran through and i put new gas in.

NY

07-06-04, 03:25 PM   #10  
While your problem may be belt related, I suspect that you have a carburetor related problem, except for the fact that you say it will restart right back up immediately. This will be difficult for anyone to diagnose without having the machine on-site, but take a close look at the belt alignment and be sure there is no abnormal parasidic load due to misalignment of the deck belt. Let us know how it goes. You may need to take the machine to a shop for a professional on-hand opinion.

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 07:31 PM   #11  
Freqhog
One of the belts that drive the wheels is really loose, lol. The one for the blade is not to losoe but looser than i think it should be

GA

07-06-04, 10:51 PM   #12  
Make sure all your tensioning pulleys and idler pulleys are free wheeling. I had an idler bearing go out on my Ariens and it ate belts ... also caused stalling every now and then.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-07-04, 01:11 AM   #13  
I also believe you have a fuel related problem. Have you disassembled and cleaned the carb? It sounds like it may have some trash floating around in the carb, randomly blocking the main jet. Then when the engine stalls, the trash falls away from the jet again until it happens back onto it. When you engage the blades, the carb opens a bit to allow more fuel to the engine and the trash gets sucked up at that point too. Water in the carb can also do this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-07-04, 08:05 PM   #14  
Freqhog
lmao i guess year old gas doesnt help XDDD

07-08-04, 07:42 AM   #15  
sure doesn't buddy. just get you a big five-gallon can and put the stabilizer in it and everthing should be fine with you gas for a long time. good luck.

Search this Thread