Back to racing mowers

Old 07-06-04, 11:08 AM
Back to racing mowers

I couldn't dig up the old thread that we had been chatting on regarding race mower engines, so I started this one.

Puey, great advice on that engine...we applied basically the same specs to an 8HP Briggs and it works well so far. a bit lean on the bottom it seems, but when it gets up, it goes!!
As well, we tried different exhausts for it, and the one that seems to work the best, is the one we painted white, (a straight pipe), and cut off where it started heating up first. It seemed to be the most responsive. I also cut a flywheel down and that is going on today.

Racing starts now!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 03:28 PM
Hi Dennis,
Tell me again what engine you're running (ID #'s) as well as carburetor ID number and I can possibly help you with the low end lag.

Old 07-06-04, 03:31 PM
Dang it all. I didn't see when I replied the first time that you're running a Briggs, so there will be no carb #. But do tell me if it's a stock carb or otherwise and if otherwise, what engine ID #'s go with that engine that the carb came off of.

Old 07-06-04, 04:54 PM
hey there Puey, thanks for the quick reply.....It is a 191707, type 2516, with a stock carb. And the carb was going to be my next question...lol...should we convert to an updraft carb? And also, I was working on an engine last year, and the float had a small spring on it to stop the float from bouncing, this is another issue we are running into...in the corners, the engine falls off because of the float closing on the bounce. But of course, I can't figure out what engine it was again. Thanks again!

Old 07-14-04, 08:49 AM
Bumping this back up for ya Puey to see if you found out anything on the carbs.