Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower causing brown spots

Visiting Guest

07-06-04, 08:05 PM   #1  
caperdeb
Lawn Mower causing brown spots

This is my first time using this forum so bear with me. We have a Sears ride-on mower (over 10 years old) and within 24 hours of using it, brown circles appear randomly over the lawn. My husband has checked it over for leaks and can't detect any oil/gas leaking. There is nothing on the floor of our storage shed yet something must be leaking as it is cutting. He suspected a seal gone bad but can't seem to find anything. Anyone else ever had the problem - and anyone have an idea of what it could be. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-07-04, 01:24 AM   #2  
Hello caperdeb!

I'll bet that the spots are in places where the mower gets stopped for a moment, but is still running. Sounds like the muffler is aimed at the ground and burning the grass with the heat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-07-04, 10:49 AM   #3  
your blades could be real dull and could be causing the grass to brown at the top or you might have bug spray on the wheels or something like that but i seriously doubt it. cheese is probably right because it does sound like there is something burning the yard or your baldes could be dull and out of balances or the pulleys that the blades are mounted to.

Visiting Guest

07-13-04, 02:54 PM   #4  
Otoe
Is it really due to the mower? Could you have brown patch or dollar spot?
You may have this which is hidden by the long grass until you cut it.

NY

07-13-04, 03:02 PM   #5  
What, would you guess, is the height at which you cut your lawn? What part of the world do you live - specifically? What type of grass do you have (if you know)? What type of soil do you have...sand, clay, topsoil? To the best of your recollection are the brown spots at the point at which you stop and/or turn around, or, in various points on your lawn?

07-13-04, 06:48 PM   #6  
i think that i have the answer to your's and my probelm. the blades are probaly a little dull and out of alignment. i spent two hours working a wd-40ing my lawnmower deck and spindles and i finally sharpened my blades. i went to my neighbors 4-5ft yard for a test cut and it only missed where i went fast at. the three of the most common mistakes made when mowing is mowing when the yard is wet, blades are dull, and to fast to where you have to make sharp turns or go back where you missed a place, okay maybe it was 4 but avoid these and mow in different directions each time and it should green up your yard. oh yeah, mow on your height settin in 1st or 2nd gear next time and see if that helps. did anyone know that dupoint make wd-40 like lube/protectant with teflon now? dupoint teflon stuff works because we have some on our leather recliner and the chocolate or food stains come right out so i would reccomened dupoint teflon stuff to anyone. good luck and hope this helps.

Search this Thread