a starter question

Old 07-09-04, 08:24 AM
Cool a starter question

i have and old starter and all it needed was some cleaning and the gear assembly on top. i had bought a rebuilt starter and it tore up on me and the small-engine place won't replace it. my question is on my old starter. i went to my friends house and we got the gear assembly off of it and i went home and put it on mine. when i got home it did not have a place to put the pin in that holds the assembly on. i called my friend and we tried to figure out what would hold it on; we also thought about drilling a hole in the starter shaft but i decided not to. i have all of the original assembly execpt for the gear to it. on the old assembly, you have the thing the gear sits on the bottom with the gear on it, then you have a round metal piece on top of it that is supposed to hold everything down. i coudn't figure out what i use to hold that metal piece down or if the spring goes on top or the bottom of the gear. my starter shaft has a ridge in the top of it for something like a c-clip to hold that metal piece down. can someone help me to figure out what i need to my stater assembly in place because my push mower will not take to much more of my backyard. thanks for any help or info.
p.s. the old starter turns fine and everything i just need the assembly held down.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 03:00 PM
You weren't too specific whether you have a Briggs, Tecumseh, etc., but it sounds as though you have a Briggs. The groove on top of the shaft is the C-clip groove. Starting from the bottom (closest to the starter) and working up, here is the order of assembly: Clutch; Gear; Spring; Washer; Retainer; and finally the C-clip.
The complete repair kit is part #- 696541, gear part #- 695708 and the C-clip part #- 691265.

Old 07-09-04, 07:36 PM
Cool

hey puey, thanks for all of the info including the part numbers because they saved me a bunch of time. do you know a way that i can get the old nut off of the connector without damage the starter. it is the only good starter that i have and if i mess this up i have to push mow; i don't want to tear up the starter because this is the only working one that i have. if you or anyone lese know sa way then i will surely take it into consideration. i will go to the small engine shop and see if i can get the parts tommorrow. thanks a bunch and i will let you know what happens.

Old 07-10-04, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a thin 7/16" wrench to hold the nut closest to the starter while you remove the outer nut.

Old 07-10-04, 05:51 AM
Cool

thanks cheese and puey. i will try to get a 7/16" wrench today when i get the c-clip and washer. i'll let you know how it goes. thanks.

p.s. i have one more question. do you know anyway that i can get my old balde off of my lawnmower. i am just a little guy, 105-110 pounds but it can pick it up and move the lawnmower around. if you know a way that i can get it off without have to tilt it on its back or side i would love to know. oh yeah, my moms car jack fitsalmost perfect on the front off the lawnmower so i can raise it up like that. i just need to know the tools that i will need and instruction n getting it off. thanks.

Old 07-10-04, 09:26 AM
How goes it littleworker,
The best way to remove the blades is with compressed air. If this is not available to you then a block of wood and a 1/2"-drive breaker-bar (for good leverage purposes) with the correct size, short socket will do. The carjack should do the trick to raise the front of the mower up enough. I strongly urge you to use a safety jack as well for safetys sake (in case the carjack gives out). Also, don't raise the front of the mower up any more than necessary to provide good access to the blades.

Old 07-10-04, 01:32 PM
Cool

thanks again puey. i have some good and bad news about the stater. the original starter threw off two different types of clips. i finally gave up on it. if you want you can go and look at the forum $50 Riding Lawnmower Questions to see what was wrong with my mower and the $70 starter that we just bought.
the good news is i got my lawnmower runnig today but it started raining so i couldn't mow, oh well. i took the $70 rebuilt starter and put it on my mower to see if it would work and it did. the only way that either starter would turn over though is if the starter was hooked up to the engine, why is that? anyway, i got the assembly that my friend gave me and put on the new gear the i bought and put it in the orser you told me execept that it had a pin instead of the c- clip. i made sure that everything was connected and turned her over. she started up and pop,pop,pop and i had to drop the throttle a little bit and she let them 12 horses out. blue smoke come out at first where it had been sitting and where i had cleaned the carb bowl out. ohter than that she ran great. i am still going to put in some penzoil and a brand new spark plug and air filter. thakns for all of the help and i am goignt o try to sharpen that blade with a dremel tommorrow. if i can at least get shiny metal and a little bit of an edge on it will that be good enough to mow with? my last question is how much does a set of deck wheels go for? thanks for aal of the help again.