Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower Popping, Surging And Dying

TN

07-09-04, 08:34 AM   #1  
Mower Popping, Surging And Dying

Just yesterday, half way through my yard, my mower started making a popping noise. It also began surging and ultimately dying. I tried to restart, it ran for a few secs, same thing, and died. I let it cool down. I change spark plug, air filter, and oil, (as I did at the beginning of the season). It started, and still surges and pops, but I was able to finish my yard. I'm wondering if the cool down helped more than the maintenance. The mower is a Scott's, 6.5 hp, mulching, about 4-5 years old. Please post detailed 'DIY for dummies' instructions if you have a suggestion, my small engine skills stop at performing yearly maintenance and replacing a pull cord.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-09-04, 09:21 AM   #2  
Azis
Well your post led me to more research which led me to this...http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01106.html
Is this the same mower you have?

NY

07-09-04, 09:54 AM   #3  
We will need engine as well as frame identification numbers in order to help you out.

TN

07-09-04, 11:34 AM   #4  
I'm not sure of my model number, but I'll check. The Scotts mower in the picture from the link provided does not look like my mower. The popping noise seems to be coming from the engine, not under the deck. It's hard to explain...it sounds kinda like (on a much smaller scale), the popping noise made when someone revs up a Harley.

NY

07-09-04, 02:50 PM   #5  
Without ID #'s we cannot be specific, but at the moment it sounds carburetor related.

Search this Thread