Mower Popping, Surging And Dying

Old 07-09-04, 08:34 AM
Mower Popping, Surging And Dying

Just yesterday, half way through my yard, my mower started making a popping noise. It also began surging and ultimately dying. I tried to restart, it ran for a few secs, same thing, and died. I let it cool down. I change spark plug, air filter, and oil, (as I did at the beginning of the season). It started, and still surges and pops, but I was able to finish my yard. I'm wondering if the cool down helped more than the maintenance. The mower is a Scott's, 6.5 hp, mulching, about 4-5 years old. Please post detailed 'DIY for dummies' instructions if you have a suggestion, my small engine skills stop at performing yearly maintenance and replacing a pull cord.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 09:21 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Well your post led me to more research which led me to this...http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01106.html
Is this the same mower you have?

Old 07-09-04, 09:54 AM
We will need engine as well as frame identification numbers in order to help you out.

Old 07-09-04, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure of my model number, but I'll check. The Scotts mower in the picture from the link provided does not look like my mower. The popping noise seems to be coming from the engine, not under the deck. It's hard to explain...it sounds kinda like (on a much smaller scale), the popping noise made when someone revs up a Harley.

Old 07-09-04, 02:50 PM
Without ID #'s we cannot be specific, but at the moment it sounds carburetor related.