Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

deck wheel assembly

07-12-04, 05:46 AM   #1  
deck wheel assembly

does anyone know where i can get deck wheels and the assmbly that holds them onto the deck. i have a 12.0 Hp 38-inch cut Sentinel Riding Mower and i cannot come up with any info besedes the engine parts and that is on the briggs and stratton website. i need some because when i mowed the other day, there is brown circles from the blades and some of the yard is scalped. the yard, since i can rememeber, has never looked this bad. to make it all worse, my deck was as high as it could go and i was going between 2&3 gears. help please and if i put this on my mower, would it help my deck from shaking side to side and the noise as well? any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-12-04, 09:51 AM   #2  
Azis
Sounds like you have a spindle and or blade issue or possibly the deck not installed correctly. Remove the deck belt from the pulleys and check to see if they spin freely, make any noise, any wobble on the shaft. Also check the blades make sure no big pieces are missing and check the underside of the deck for obstruction, (grass buildup, broken piece of deck...etc.
The murray site is still limited as far as manuals they have, but you can locate a dealer or call a toll free number for help. Of course you will want (if you can find it) the model # off of the mower not the engine.

I just found this site it may help
http://partsandservice.ca/

NY

07-12-04, 09:52 AM   #3  
Since you didn't indicate if you had a suspicion which make the mower may be and since you supplied no ID #'s, we'll make some assumptions here. This likely is either an MTD or Murray product and you will need to find such dealers in your area, bring the deck with you and see if the dealer reconizes it. Or, if not, come up with something that will work. Good luck and let us know.

07-12-04, 10:18 AM   #4  
Sentinel

Model # F3912000
Code:5040

Engine

Briggs and Straton Power Built
12 hp

Model #:282707
Type:01 10 01
Code:94121640

My deck was made by and independent laboratory called ozei or somthing like that. i think the original blade, the one that i can't remove, is out of balance or something and my blades, just today, didn't want to kick off unless i turned them back on and turned them off. hey thanks but i gotta go, i think that it is lightning. oh yeah, it is manufactured by murray but i can't get anyhting anywhere from the number.

07-12-04, 04:09 PM   #5  
hey, i am back and it never did storm. my deck was manufactured by opei independent laboratories. that is all that i know about the deck. oh yeah, i also found out that the deck is factory as well. i checked that webiste and they have all the part number to every componet except the deck wheels and the thing that hold them onto the lawnmower. i have not gotten to check the deck to see if the spindles have clearance but i do know that the new on does. i have a question, my deck sits about a little over an inch off the ground and it scalpes everything that is uneven in the yard, if i move the deck up one hole on all of the sides will it help with this probelm?the manager at the local walmart garden center, a friend of my mom's, said that he has deck wheels on his mower and it stiill brownes the yard. thanks for all of the help and for putting up with me.

07-13-04, 06:34 PM   #6  
hey i finally have good news on this my mower. i can actually call it a mwoer and not a scalper. the reasone it was causing brown spots is the blades were not sharp at all and the original one wouldn't have went through the softest butter unless it was liquid. i tested it out in my neighbors 4-5 ft yard and it went right through with no trouble at all and it was even and no scalping. i also figured out what was making all of the noise. on the side where the grass comes out, the top of the spindle is warped but nothing else is on that spindle or any of the of the other spindle are "thank you!" is there anyway that i can just replace the top part of the spindle and not the whole spindle itself? thakns for all of the help!

07-13-04, 06:35 PM   #7  
hey i finally have good news on this mower. i can actually call it a mwoer and not a scalper. the reasone it was causing brown spots is the blades were not sharp at all and the original one wouldn't have went through the softest butter unless it was liquid. i tested it out in my neighbors 4-5 ft yard and it went right through with no trouble at all and it was even and no scalping. i also figured out what was making all of the noise. on the side where the grass comes out, the top of the spindle is warped but nothing else is on that spindle or any of the of the other spindle are "thank you!" is there anyway that i can just replace the top part of the spindle and not the whole spindle itself? thanks for all of the help!

07-13-04, 06:37 PM   #8  
sorry, it came up with the adminstrator's 30 second rule and i thouht that it didn't go through so i ended up posting 2x.

07-14-04, 05:36 PM   #9  
hey cheese,puey,azis is there anything that i can do to the top of that spindle instead of the whole thing?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-04, 01:02 AM   #10  
Not sure exactly what you mean by the top part of the spindle. The spindle is one piece of steel. If it is bent, it is no good. Are you talking about a pulley maybe? If so, just replace the pulley. Not sure I understand.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-15-04, 04:53 AM   #11  
hey cheese, i was talking about the top piece of the pulley/spindle, i'm not sure what you call it, that the original blade is on and it is on hte side where the grass comes out. the top piece where the belt it is warped just a little bit and that is the main reason that it makes so much noise when you engage the blades. i hope this helps and thanks again.

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 06:48 AM   #12  
Azis
The shaft/spindle where the belt pulley mounts...? if this is warped or bent then it needs replaced.
http://partsandservice.ca/html/Murra...f3912-000.html
Look at page 13 from this link, it shows a parts breakdown of the spindle and housing......22-1,if it is bent it needs replaced, most likely it has also caused bearing and bushing damage and may even have worn the housing. If individual parts are available you may be able to rebuild it, however the simplest and safest option would be to replace the assy.

07-15-04, 07:47 AM   #13  
thanks azis, the part 22-8 is the part and it is what needs to be replaced. do you know about how much one of these go for? i have already had to put a whole new blade and the other 22 on their when i got it but $50 for a perfectly good lawnmower is to good to be true. how hard would it be to replace this with hand tools because i have no air compressor or anything like that? i tried the advice on the blade but i about broke my finger when i did that so i had to use the dremel kit and sharpen it while it was still of the mower but it worked because the dremel is so small. my friend has an air compressor and he is looking to buy a new 60 gallon one so he said that he would se about selling his to me.

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 07:58 AM   #14  
Azis
22-8 is the pulley, if its damaged replace it however, if it is damaged or if it just does not spin true (perpendicular to the shaft) or has any slop then other parts in the assy are likely damaged which if it is making noise is probably the case.

07-15-04, 08:06 AM   #15  
it is warped and bent so when i turn it and it bent part get to that belt guide it will go like a lubricated engine but after it gets to the unharmed part it will turn but rater hard because the guide is there. the blade has clearance all the way around and the pulley doesn't make any sounds until it hits that one little spot that causes the big loud sound. other than that the mower still cuts fine and even.thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread