Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Excell 2002CWT power washer has no pressure!

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 11:12 AM   #1  
Scott in Maine
Excell 2002CWT power washer has no pressure!

My 4-year old Excell 2002CWT 2000 psi power washer offers no additional pressure when the engine is running and the trigger is depressed. The engine starts and runs relatively normally, but there is only ‘garden hose’ pressure at the wand. I even broke the wand down, thinking it might be a problem with the nozzle, but alas, it was not. And I brought it to my usual lawn and garden guy who informed me that he does engine work, but nothing on the pump side. Perfect.

Also, I had a problem with the plastic fitting into which the garden hose fitting attaches. It is about 2˝” x 3” and has 3 bolts running through it, and inside, has a triangular rubber ‘gasket’. The plastic fitting was actually visibly warped (it may have frozen this past winter, and it probably still had water in it…yes, I AM that stupid). Because it was spewing water when hooked up to a hose, I took off the piece and ground it down, and made an improvised cork gasket. When reattached, it did hold water, but while I’m into this thing, I may as well replace the parts, but I don’t know where to start looking for them. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Amusing sarcasm may also help my disposition. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-04, 01:12 AM   #2  
Hello Scott!

There is a valve called the unloader valve that usually causes this problem. It's strange...there have been lots of pressure washer problems on this board lately, and almost all of them seem to revolve around the unloader valve. Do you have the original manual for this unit? It should show the exploded view and parts list for the pump to aid you in locating this valve. You'll probably need to remove and clean or replace it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

07-15-04, 03:47 AM   #3  
Hi Cheese,

I guess the reason for all the PW problems here is due to the increased sales at the HD/Lowes store. They have almost become a nice option to homeowner care and cleaning.
Unfortunately, almost all of these PW pumps are direct drive and whether used properly or not the unloaders and pumps do go bad. Also a boom to the small engine repair business.

fred
(proud owner of a Mi-T-M dual belt drive PW)

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 07:42 AM   #4  
Scott in Maine
Good Morning, all!

I looked in my dark closet of archives, and I found the manual for the DeVilbiss/Excell power washers (generic), and NOTHING about the specific pump. Upon further investigation, it is a Giant, model HR20, 2 gpm, 2000 psi, 3400 rpm, with s/n 101234. So, to your reference of an unloader valve, I'm quite lost. Went online looking for Giant, etc., and turned up....nothing. The streak stays alive. Any suggestions?

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 07:53 AM   #5  
Azis
Hi Scott,
http://www.pressureparts.com/pdfs/Da...giantpumps.PDF

This should be for your unit. The breakdown shows the unloader Cheese mentioned.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-04, 10:01 PM   #6  
Hi Fred!

You must be right. I'm not sure I like having the lower end pumps come in though. They are so poorly made that when you get into them to fix one thing, you find another that is going bad, and so on and so on.... And then you get it together and something doesn't work for whatever reason (weak distorted plastic valves or something like that) and back into it you go. You wind up spending more time than you can charge for without exceeding the value of the unit, or making a mad customer. Then, sometimes it goes nice and smooth, but the odds of that aren't the best. Kind of like working on low-end string trimmers.

Sounds like you got a nice unit though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-16-04, 05:57 AM   #7  
Scott in Maine
Ahhhh...now you're really making me think! I spoke with someone about parts. I could order the necessary parts and kits to fix what we THINK is the problem...for about $50.00....OR I could order a whole new manifold assembly ready to bolt on for $140.00...OR I could buy the whole pump assembly (pump, manifold, the whole shooting match, minus the engine and frame) for $280.00. My newer thought, given your most recent posts is to consider the manifold assembly (the individual parts are considerably more than the whole assembly, so if I order the kits and they don't work, I end up spending MORE money and time). Tryin' not to elevate this to rocket science, but.....

Thanks, gentlemen!

Search this Thread