Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

garden tractor problem

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 02:24 PM   #1  
vohr
garden tractor problem

I have a craftsman 22hp hydrostatic with a 46" deck. due to an injury, i was not able to use it for a couple of years but it's up and running now - except for one problem that eludes me.

i was having trouble going up inclines- in fact, i couldn't go up all the way on fairly small inclines. i was losing power and there was a loud squeeling sound with the deck up or down. the same noise was happening when i turned a sharp corner or went around a tree but i didn't lose power. as the tractor had sat for awhile, i oiled and greased everything i could think of yesterday. the problem with the inclines seemed cured though not the noise turning sharp corners. however, after using the mower today for about an hour-and-a-half, the same problem with going up inclines started again.

i don't have a clue what to do now. hope someone out there can help!!!

thanks!

val

Last edited by vohr; 07-14-04 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Sponsored Links

07-14-04, 03:03 PM   #2  
i am not sure but it could be fuel restriction or bad belts. check the bowl under the carb,remove it, clean it out, and gently move the plastic piece up and down.
your belts may be worn out so you might want to look at them as well. the last thing to do is to check for warped spindles. while you are checking the belts, rotate each spindle and see if there is any restriction or squeaking. my riding mower sit out over a year and the top of the original spindle was warped. when you check the spindles check top and bottom for restrictions. as for the loss of power,the carb bowl cleaning should help and if that doen't get you some gumout carb cleaner and that should fix you up there. good luck and i hope that i helped a little.

07-14-04, 03:07 PM   #3  
when you check the carb bowl and remove it, make sure you empty your fuel tank and fuel will run out on your mower so i just thought that i would let you know. oh yeah, i had the loss of power with my push mower when i moved it on just a 10 degree angle but mine would quit on me. the carb bowl cleaning should help and remeber to move the peice up and down gently.

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 03:27 PM   #4  
vohr
garden tractor problem

hi...

thanks for your quick reply. i did have have the carb cleaned out as the float was stuck and i doubt that there are any fuel restrictions problem. other than the belts on the deck, which are new, i am aware of only one other belt that runs the cooler fan - i think. is this the one that could be causing the problem? i'm curious why after i oiled everything the problem went away and then returned after using the tractor today.

val

07-14-04, 04:40 PM   #5  
unless it has set out in the weather then that is the only thing that i can think of. on the other hand, i would say that you still need to clean the carb bowl again even if someone has already done it ofr you because a little piece of rust can restrict the fuel from getting into the engine and that is all it has took on many forums that have been posted on this website. clean the bowl (if you want and if that doesn;t work try the gumout carb cleaner). i hope that i have helped you any some way and your welcome for the fast reply and thank you for replying so quick. good luck!
p.s. about the fan, you might want to wait and see what cheese, azis, or puey says about that.

Last edited by littleworker; 07-14-04 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spell probelm

Visiting Guest

07-14-04, 04:42 PM   #6  
Azis
Is it your engine loosing power, or the mower just doesnt pull inclines. The squeel you here is it a belt, do you smell or see smoke? If so check your drive belt and pulleys, especially your idler pulley.
If the squeel is from the rearend....? no smoke smell or sited, it may be a pump whine could be oil or serviced possibly.
See if that helps narrow down the problem and help'll show

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-04, 01:06 AM   #7  
Hello val!

It does sound like you have a belt issue. Check the transmission belt tension. If it slips (like it would in a hard turn or on an incline) it will squeal.

I don't think you need worry about the carburetor.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-16-04, 06:19 AM   #8  
When it was parked for those couple of years, was the parking brake set? Maybe the brake locked (rusted) on and you mower is trying to move with the extra load of the brakes being on. The only other thing I can think of is there a belt from the engine to the tranny on your model? From sitting in one position, it may have distorted it's shape and also might no longer be flexible. I hope this helps.

Search this Thread