Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5hp B&S Quantum Muffler replacement

Visiting Guest

07-15-04, 01:42 PM   #1  
comstartarrad
5hp B&S Quantum Muffler replacement

After 10 years of use, the muffler on my Troy-Bilt mower rusted out and required replacement. The engine is a 5hp Briggs & Stratton Quantum. I found the replacement muffler without problem, but replacing it is tricky. The muffler's input port has a 1/4" raised rim that is supposed to fit into the mating hole on the engine block. It seems that the muffler's rim is the same size as the hole, instead of slightly undersized, which prevents it from being inserted. Any help out there?

Sponsored Links

NY

07-15-04, 02:41 PM   #2  
I've never run into the problem you're having and I am not aware of any flange on these mufflers either. You may have some carbon build-up in the exhaust port that needs to be scraped away perhaps. Give us the engine ID #'s as well as the part number you bought and I can confirm that you bought the correct muffler or not for you.

Visiting Guest

07-16-04, 08:41 AM   #3  
comstartarrad
Reply with Engine Info

The B&S engine ID is 124782-3130-01-92040159. The muffler part# is 490547.

Visiting Guest

07-16-04, 09:37 AM   #4  
Azis
The parts breakdown does show 2 diff muflers each with a diff part #
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...gineType=3130#
The other part# 494343 is a different shape cant tell from drawing about fittings tho. Other than the fittings being different does the new one look the same as the old?
Puey may be able to get dimensions on the mounting flanges.

Visiting Guest

07-17-04, 07:14 AM   #5  
comstartarrad
Part number is OK

I've definitely got the correct muffler (it has a very unique shape, kind of like New Hampshire tipped over). If I can't find a better solution, I may try cutting some small slits in the lip of the input flange and bending the ends in slightly, so that it will self guide into the exhaust port on the head. There are no other fittings or pipes between the head and the muffler.

NY

07-17-04, 10:03 AM   #6  
The muff part number you came up with is an old number and has since been superceded to - 496106, but should work nonetheless. The only thing that I can think of that may be interfering would be a muffler guard backing plate. They're rarely used but you may have one. Worst case, if your trick you're going to try doesn't work, then grind the flange completely off and use gasket part number - 691881. Also, check for any exhaust port insert that may be installed - although I've never seen one on anything smaller than a 12 horse.

Visiting Guest

07-20-04, 06:55 PM   #7  
comstartarrad
Problem Solved!

I had the correct part (B&S 496106, which replaced the original 490547) but unbeknownst to me, the gasket is retained by a "gasket keeper", which looks VERY MUCH like part of the muffler's input port. In the course of playing with it, the keeper came off, and I had no problems after that. Without a service manual, I think the average homeowner would probably run into the same problem I did. I submitted this problem to B&S customer support at; http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faq...duser/home.php but they were stumped. I suggested they add a slip of paper to the packaging which directs the purchaser to remove the gasket keeper before installation.
Anyway, many thanks to puey61 and Azis for their inputs!

Search this Thread