Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

primer button

07-17-04, 11:13 PM   #1  
primer button

working on a 2003 tecumseh 3.5 hp pushmower for a friend. i am not familiar with newer technology. i cleaned all ports and the bottom bolt holes. primer bulb made of hard red rubber does not want to squirt gas into carb chamber. i get mower to run if i use starting fluid although it has very minor surging. i have squirted outside of primer bulb with carb cleaner to see if it efected rpm. it had no effect. could primer bulb still be bad. it seems like float bowl is getting the gas but is not getting to intake tube. it does same thing when hot also. did they make these newer carbs where the primer has to have a vacuum tight seal? it seems like the primer bulb is linked to about 3 ports on this carb. would a tiny leak in the primer bulb cause hard starts and and gas not to go to main chanber of carb? or am i barking up wrong tree and one of the ports is blocked. i cleaned all ports at least twice. any input appreciated. thank you, l. mitchell.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-18-04, 12:42 AM   #2  
Azis
hey Mitchel,
Sounds like the primer bulb is the problem. If by adding fuel to the carb you can make it run. While your friend may be lucky enuff to have a throttle on his mower, my guess is there is no choke. In a sense a .35 cent rubber ball, is cheaper to make than a carb with a choke
They are less than 5 dolla at any small engine shop.

07-18-04, 09:02 PM   #3  
I had the exact same problem with my sons mower. I called several srepair shops and asked what usually goes wrong with the primer. They all said nothing they knew of unless the bulb is cracked or has a hole in it.

I bought a new red primer bulb and it came with a press in retainer ring. First I carefully removed the retainer ring a little at a time with a very small screwdriver. Then I used gumout carb cleaner with a tube to spray the passages under the bulb. The old bulb looked ok so I put it back in using the original retainer ring. I think when it was new you could sence the fuel being forced in when you pressed the bulb. But now it is hard to sence anything happening. I found that if you pressed the bulb 6-8-or 10 times it starts fine. I think you are only supposed to press it 3 times. That was a year ago and he is still doing ok. I still have the new bulb hanging on my work bench.

It probably would not hurt to run some carb. or injector cleaner through it by puttung some in the gas tank and run it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-19-04, 10:50 PM   #4  
Hello l.mitchell!

Pull the bowl screw out and clean the holes in it. There are 3...one in the center of the screw, one that goes all the way through one side and out the other near the head of the screw, and one tiny one that is in an unthreaded part of the screw near the end. This tiny one is usually the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-20-04, 09:43 PM   #5  
thanks for the info. i bought a primer bulb for 5 dolla and installed it. the engine cold starts on 3 button pushes with full squirts going up thru center. it does not have to be primed on hot starts. when i took out the old primer i found it had lost its elasticity and may have had a pinhole leak. my friend is not mechannically inclined and will appreciate the fact his tecumseh runs like it did when he bought it last yr. thanks again. l. mitchell.

Visiting Guest

07-21-04, 12:58 AM   #6  
Azis
Glad ya got it

Search this Thread