Sears 6.5hp no start problem...help

Old 07-01-04, 06:37 PM
bgoose
Visiting Guest
Question Sears 6.5hp no start problem...help

New to this forum but I've searched this forum for several days...great place for info. I am working on a Sears push mower (model 143.976500) with a no start condition. The engine will run all day on starting fluid but will not start or run without it. There is fuel in the bowl, all passages are clean, needle, seat and float pass the "mouth blow test". Replaced the worn o-ring on the what I call jet and used a known good spark plug. Spark is good with either plug. No start. Replaced the gasket in the carb (is there a right way up?). I am at a loss for ideas. Never seen a float carb with a diaphram but it appears the carb will not pass any fuel. Owner said it has worked once this year, went to crank it last time and wouldn't start. I've gotten no further. Only other thing is the crankcase breather tube is split but I don't see that leading to a no start with a float carb. Any ideas?

Old 07-02-04, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello bgoose!

I realize you said all passages are clear, BUT...
There is one tiny one that is invisible if clogged, and it sounds like this one is clogged. Remove the bowl screw. There are 4 holes in it. One goes straight down the center. 2 oppose each other near the head of the screw. The tiny one that is often overlooked is in an unthreaded section of the screw near the end. It is small and you might not see it if it is clogged.

Let us know what you find!

Old 07-02-04, 08:00 AM
bgoose
Visiting Guest
no holes there?

That is what I thought too cheese but this is not the "normal" carburetor. This carb has a plastic bowl, fuel line enters one side and directly across from that is a drain? screw. These two items are straight across from each other. Inside the bowl is the float, needle, seat, and a red plastic jet? with the holes in it. The jet has an o-ring on the bottom, a spring under that and it just kinda "hovers" there in the bowl. On top of all this is what is either a gasket or a diaphram. On top of this is an aluminum housing with the butterfly and all which bolts to the block.
The plastic bowl is secured to the aluminum housing with a flip type bail, no screws. There is no screw going straight up into the carb, if there was I agree that would appear to be my problem. I'll try this weekend to pull the carb back off and get an actual tecumseh part number.

Old 07-02-04, 09:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ahh! You have a Tecumseh Vector engine. Fortunately (except in your case) they didn't make these for only about 3 years - they're garbage. You will need to replace the fuel bowl (they're notorious for warping), part number - 730235B. This is a kit and should get you back up and running. Let us know.

PS. that above part number is a Tecumseh #.

Last edited by puey61; 07-02-04 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-03-04, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
lol. Most tecumsehs have the regular ol' bowl type carb which they have made variations of for decades. You would just happen to have the black sheep. Puey is right, the kit should get you up and running again.

Old 07-06-04, 11:56 AM
bgoose
Visiting Guest
thanks guys....after reading the post with the tecumseh part number I went straight to the parts man....he looked at me as if I had invented this carburetor or something. Found the part online and it is on the way. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. Thanks so much and you've made a member out of me.

Old 07-19-04, 02:16 PM
bgoose
Visiting Guest
The bowl kit worked wonders. After installation it started with the first pull and cut grass all day like a champ. Thanks everyone

Old 07-19-04, 02:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yeeha! Glad we could be of assistance. You know where to find us should you need us again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: