Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

burnt fuses

07-19-04, 06:37 PM   #1  
burnt fuses

OK. My parents have a 18.5 hp craftsman garnden tractor with a twin cylinder kohler magnum. This mower is about 8 years years old. The problem is that the fuse keeps burning. It burns, I replace it and it lasts for about two or three mowings, then it burns again. You can mow without a problem, shut it down, and when you try to mow with it again later that day or the next day, the fuse is burnt. This is a 30 amp fuse. The fuse is located right next to the solenoid which is right next to the battery which is located right in front of the console. I am used to the types of shorts that burn a fuse instantly, but this problems only shows up every few mowings. Any tips on what to look for? Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-19-04, 10:24 PM   #2  
Hello Mower17!

The only way I can take a stab at this is from experience....look at the area between the steering column and the engine. You should see at least one relay there (when the twin kohler is used). Take the black plastic cover off the relay and clean the contacts in it and dry it out if it is wet inside. I'm not certain this is your problem, but it is a problem area...especially on mowers that get rained on or washed with a water hose.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread