Hunting Deere (electrical)

Old 07-20-04, 10:37 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hunting Deere (electrical)

It is not my intention of this post to BASH John Deere, however should it happen it is somewhat deserved
So far getting any support local or online has been more painful than my last root canal.
170 Tractor/M00170x605893
This one has a gear drive, the owner said originaly the problem was it would not shift into gear, he removed the rearend took it apart found nothing reasembeld and now when the key is turned to start nothing. The solenoid and starter work fine with voltage applied. The seat switch is NC and opens when depressed. I found the key switch was coroded and one terminal came off with the plug, it has been replaced. There is a plug on top of the rearend (I assume a saftey switch, neutral?) Purple wire goes to the solenoid, purple/white goes to key switch. I tried simple jumping of the plug with no luck. With all saftey conditions supposedly met, I checked for 12V to the switch on all contacts and get none, although without a schematic I am not sure if I should have although if it were the switch on the rearend I would think I should show 12V at the purple/white on the key when in start position?. The deck is not on the tractor.
The shifter now shifts into gear with the engine not running, and now with my suspicion that the switch in the rearend is not the problem of no start, I was hoping to be able to run it and trouble shoot the drive problem before dropping the rearend.
Any help before I have to completely disasemble the chassis chasing switches, would be ever so appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-04, 10:06 AM
Azis,
Couldn't find a schematic perse' but here is the wiring break-down http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Hope it helps.

Old 07-21-04, 10:27 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Thanks Puey,
That will give me a good start, I also found a service manual on CD on ebay for 15 bucks for future help at least.

Thx gin

Old 07-21-04, 11:29 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Rite on Puey,
That did the trick this time, found the circuit breaker which tested good but had a badly rusted terminal, cleaned that and found a connector from the same that had a spade terminal corode in 2. She up n runnin Now for the rearend probs
I can handle the nuts n bolts but them little lectron fellers give me fits, specially when the smoke gets outa da wires

Old 07-22-04, 02:42 PM
Glad we could help.