Briggs carburator

Old 08-12-04, 12:54 PM
cwp
Visiting Guest
Briggs carburator

I have a 3.75 Briggs push mower, model 98902, type 0125, code 02 96101752. In doing some routine maintenance, I found a spring disconnected in the carb. linkage, it may even be broken. There are 2 springs in the linkage, a large one and a small one. They are connected at the same point on one end. The smaller spring is disconnedted on the other end. I do not see where it connects. I have 2 briggs maintenance manuals but neither shows the springs connected. Is there a web page with pictures or can anybody tell me where this sring connects. There is only a tiny bit of curl on the disconnected end which makes me think it may be broken. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Old 08-12-04, 01:15 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...gineType=0125#
Follow that link and enter your model and type code you posted, those are the #'s for your engine. There is a parts break down showing both springs, not much help on where to attatch tho, also you can find the owners manual from the same site. I browsed it and while there is not a section for attatching the linkage, if you look at the throttle adjustment it shows at least one of the springs. Now realize this drawing is for reference only and not a diagram. Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-04, 01:39 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Just doing one in the shop like yours, actually 3 springs involved and none are conneted at either end at the same point. 2 of them are involved in the throttle, one with the govenor linkage the other return for the throttle.
3rd one is for choke plate return. If from the manual link, or looking closer, you can tell me which you see have and so on....will try to walk through it.

Old 08-12-04, 02:32 PM
cwp
Visiting Guest
I checked the manual and all I saw was 2 springs numbered 209 and 211. I could not tell from the picture which was smaller. The large spring on my machine is connected from the throttle cable linkage assembly to a looped wire that goes between the plastic govenor and I think the choke plate. The little spring is connected in the same loop as the large. The pictures of 209 and 211 shows a loop on each end of both springs. I do not have a loop on the disconnected end of the samll spring, just a small bend, as if it might be broken.
Thanks

Old 08-13-04, 02:15 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
It does sound like you have a broken spring, and while your replacing one just as well have them both
Here is a pic of one all together. http://personalpages.tds.net/~azis/brigscarb.jpg
Hope that helps

Old 08-13-04, 03:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Disregard the photo in Azis' last post, this is not the style you have. The small spring (governed idle spring) does attach -at one end- to the same point as the governor spring, the other end to a hole in a fairly odd shaped bracket (to the right, when facing such, of the common mount point) with the spring running parallel to the flywheel cover. The spring part number is 691859. Check with a local Briggs shop for this spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: