Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chipper-Shredder

Visiting Guest

07-23-04, 02:54 PM   #1  
stoaty
Chipper-Shredder

Thinking of getting a chipper-shredder for the recurrent pruning of brush & undergrowth on my mini-forest acre. Stuff sure grows fast in North Carolina! Can't afford 4 grand for a DR. Would appreciate any feedback - thanks very much.

Sponsored Links

NY

07-24-04, 06:06 AM   #2  
Products branded by MTD are actually the old Troy-Bilt equipment, just not quite as good as they were before the buyout by MTD but still decent and reasonably priced. You can find them at any MTD dealer, Troy dealer and discount chain stores. Craftsman chippers are actually MTD products branded to Sears as well.

Visiting Guest

07-25-04, 04:39 PM   #3  
stoaty
Thanks

Thanks for the useful information. I'd been looking at the Troy-Bilt 24A-204B766 6.5HP Chipper Shredder Vac Self Propelled Model, which has generally decent(but not great) reviews at Amazon.

One user review mentioned that it is very hard to pull start this model, which brings up another question. Is there some way to use a power drill to pull start a motor? In the back of my mind, I think I heard something about this a long time ago, but then the back of my mind's pretty cluttered.

Would still like to hear from any of you with actual experience with chipper-shredders, expecially any tips or cautions. Thanks again.

PA

07-26-04, 06:32 AM   #4  
I have 2 chipper/shredders, one an old Troy-Bilt and the other and older MacKissic. These are dangerous machines. You MUST wear GOOD eye protection (sunglasses are not good enough) and hearing protection. No loose fitting clothing, long pants, gloves, and never operate the machine when tired, distracted, or after a couple of beers. Never, NEVER EVER stick your fingers or hands anywhere they don't belong to clear a jam. Be carefull on how you are holding material when feeding it that a branch being sucked in won't pull your arm in with it. And after operating it for around an hour take a brake. The concentration level required to be safe is hard to maintain beyond that. Those are my safety tips and hopefully you will continue to enjoy having all your fingers and toes like me.

Visiting Guest

07-26-04, 03:54 PM   #5  
stoaty
bontai Joe, thanks!

Really appreciate the safety reminders. I'm with you, take a little extra time & trouble & keep all your parts intact. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Visiting Guest

08-11-04, 09:33 PM   #6  
jcavenah
chipper shredder

I have an older model MTD 5 hp chipper shredder that I use quite a lot for making mulch and compost. The only problem that I have is cranking the darn thing since I had several heart attacks. Hand cranking 5 hp engines or larger is not for heart patients. I have gotten several quotes for installing an electric starter, but the cost is $350 or more. The only way I can start my machine without ruining my whole day, is by removing the air cleaner, direct priming the carb. with gas, re-installing the air cleaner, and cranking. Most times it will then start on the first pull. With this scenario in mind, go the extra cost up front and get a model that has electric start. If you know of a brand that has electric start for under $1,000 please let me know. The best safety advice I can offer is this: Don't stand in front of the loading chute, because if it doesn't go through, it will be propelled back out the same way it went in!! Small rocks are especially bad for this trick. I usually wear the face shield that I use when working with my radial arm saw. "Better safe than Sorry" Be safe and have fun making small stuff from big stuff, and using the results.

Visiting Guest

08-14-04, 09:12 AM   #7  
stoaty
jcavenah, thanks for the input. I'm looking for an electric start, too. I've got a rotator cuff that needs babied from time to time. Appreciate the safety tips. I'll post back if when I actually get around to buying a chipper.

Search this Thread