Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsmen Eager One push mower with 5.0 HP motor won't start

PA

07-27-04, 06:43 PM   #1  
Craftsmen Eager One push mower with 5.0 HP motor won't start

My friend gave me this mower but I can't get it to start. It has almost zero hours on it but it's been in storage for many years. I didn't really expect it to start right off but I figured I'd put some gas in it and see. well after a few pulls gas started pouring out of the air filter and the muffler and hydro locked the motor. Never even attempted to catch. I took the cover off for the float bowl. It was full of something that looked like it may have been a seal at one point but it was hard to tell, plus lots of varnish. I cleaned it all out and put some gas in the tank (it had all drained out) with the cover off of the float. I thought gas would start pouring right out but it didn't. no gas at all, regardless of the position of the float. What does that mean? The butterfly was also frozen in place but a few wiggles and it freed right up. So where do I start? I'll get more engine info off of it tommorrow but it's a 5.0 HP Tecumseh. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-27-04, 11:56 PM   #2  
Hello Ted!

You'll need to disassemble and thoroughly clean the carb. Soaking it in carb solution would be best. Then install a rebuild kit to get you going again.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-28-04, 05:13 AM   #3  
OK. Is this something that Sears may have in stock? I've rebuilt a few automotive carbs over the years so I can't imagine this will be too difficult. I read another post that had a link to a general Tecumseh carb page so that should give me what I need. Thanks again.

Search this Thread