Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor blues

Visiting Guest

07-27-04, 06:50 PM   #1  
smackdab2
Carburetor blues

Hay guys,

I have a Briggs 12HP IC (281707 type 0144) on a craftsman riding mower. This mower is fast becoming a cobbled together ugly hunk of junk but looking at the cost of new mowers I would like to keep it going for just a little bit longer if I can. I am not really a mechanic but I am pretty mechanically inclined so I don't think it should be too hard to fix with a little help from those in the know.

The mower started having problems starting which got worse and worse and I had to take the breather cover off then loosen and lift the air filter just to get it started. Well it finally got too bad and I took the breather completely off and it would start but it would only run for a few seconds and the carb would fill with gas and it would die. I figured it would mow any less if I tore it up completely so I took the carb off, took it apart (actually found some pieces of grass down in there) cleaned it up and put it back together. Now it will run ok if the throttle is in one position without flooding.

There are two or three adjustments on the carb that can be made. I didn't adjust the throttle stop so I think it should be fine but there is the fuel mix and the adjustment on the float bowl.

Is there a guide or something somewhere on line that I can use to find out how to set these and which one to set first and basically a step-by-step how to on making the adjustments?

Oh yea, if I buy a rebuild kit with new parts and such will it come with those instructions and is it really worth getting the kit?

Thanks.

Howard

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-27-04, 11:55 PM   #2  
Hello Howard!

The kit does not give instructions for adjusting. To adjust the idle speed mixture screw (the one on top that goes through a spring)...turn it until it is lightly seated, then back it out 2 turns. Then, at full speed, adjust the high speed mixture screw (the one under the bowl). Turn it in until it begins to surge and die, then back it out until it begins to sputter, and count the # of turns it takes to go from the one extreme to the other, then divide that by 2 and turn it back in that many times. This should get you at a good running point, and fine tuning can be done from there if needed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread