Craftsman riding mower 18 H.P.

Old 07-29-04, 10:25 AM
Brebber4
Visiting Guest
Question Craftsman riding mower 18 H.P.

I have been given an 18 h.p. craftsman riding mower, Model No. 917-254860. Serial No. 0201935015679. This mower was not used for about a year before I got it. After replacing belts, mandrell, blades, air filter and fuel filter, it started and ran. It ran rough, so I adjusted the carb. according to the owners manual. It still doesn't run right. The engine seems to speed up and then slow down while running at full throttle. I have to pull the choke out part way to keep it running or when engaging the blades. Any information would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 11:05 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Most likely just need some carb cleaning. When looking at the carb from the front, on the lower right of the carb you should see bolt head, (5/8" or 11/16")
Remove this to access your main jet. Be ready to catch the fuel that drains out! You may be able to remove the jet with a small flat blade if it is sloted. (I have seen some that are and some are not) If you have compressed air and or carb cleaner with a tube, give some clean to it here.
If that doesn't solve it, you will most likely need to remove and disassemble the carb to clean or kit. If so be sure the kit includes the fuel pump parts.

Old 07-29-04, 12:36 PM
Brebber4
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the info. I will try that and let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-30-04, 11:16 AM
Brebber4
Visiting Guest
Smile

Just to let you know, I did what you suggested and it runs good now. Thank you. I have another question however. When the engine is running on low throttle I hear a thumping through the exhaust. Is this normal?

Old 07-30-04, 11:30 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Glad that did the trick Thumping??? Not sure exactly what u may mean by "thumping" but I am pretty sure u should have none...
If it is a pop type thump like a push of air...? its probably nothing to worry about, if it has a "metalic" sound to it, are you sure its only at low throttle or is the engine noise masking it at higher throttle...?
If you can locate it to the muffler, remove it and see if it rattles when shaken

Old 07-31-04, 12:20 PM
Brebber4
Visiting Guest
It almost sounds like a valve sticking. If that is the case, is there something I can use to free it up?

Old 08-01-04, 12:02 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Honestly I have found with the briggs twins, that most of them have some rather, "Surge" tendencies at lower throttle settings. Some can be tamed by enriching the mixture a tad, (CCW on the mixture screw) otherwise as long as the plugs show that all is burning good and depending on how you use the mower, keep check on it and mow away

Old 08-01-04, 09:48 AM
Brebber4
Visiting Guest
Smile

Once again, thanks for replying. The mower runs all right, guess I get a little paranoid when I'm working on something. Thats what the wife says . Thank You.