John Deere Electric Start Problem

Old 07-30-04, 04:18 PM
kev
Visiting Guest
John Deere Electric Start Problem

I have a John Deere GX 75 lawn mower. When i turn the key on I get a clicking from the (solonoid?) but the motor will not roll over. Is there some way I can test this solonoid (if thats what its called) to narrow down the problem? The battery is good as well as the connections. Any other advice would be great because my grass is growing like crazy with all the rain we have been getting.
Thanks a lot.
Kev (Peterborough On. Ca.)

Old 07-30-04, 09:17 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I could only find a parts diagram on your tractor and wiring points are unclear, however....
I believe your solenoid should have 3 connections, 1 from the + side of the battery, one to the starter and a third with a smaller wire. If you have a test lead, or a single battery cable...connect one end to the + side of the battery then touch the other end to the 3rd terminal on the solenoid. If the starter engages the solenoid is good. If it fails, use a screw driver to jump the other 2 lugs, (2 side by side with the large gage wire) to check starter operation. This will most likely find the problem, although there is also a relay shown in the starter wiring harness, without a schematic or one to look at, I am not sure of its function. Perhaps one of the old timers can fill us in

Old 07-31-04, 09:51 AM
kev
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Solenoid

Thanks for the response Azis.
There are only 2 terminals on top of solenoid, one to +side of battery the other goes to the starter I believe. There is a relay with 2 black wires on the bottom of solenoid. They appear to go to the safety switch on seat and shifter.
I tried jumping the 2 top terminals with a screwdriver, this caused a buzzing noise from the starter but thats all. I have a feeling I am missing something real simple here because it has been starting flawlessly up till now. Appreciate any further help from you or anyone else
Kev

Old 07-31-04, 10:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Is the "buzzing" coming from the starter? If so a couple things to check, 1st, if you can see up under the shroud where the starter gear meshes with the ring gear, see if the gears are meshed and stuck,(Take care here that the engine can not turn over while investigating) if so this needs to be corrected. May be able to spin the engine back and forth by hand and gently pry the starter gear down toward the starter.
The other thing to check would be the starter or its connections. Using a jumper cable, one end on the + side of the battery, touch the other end to the + starter lug, it should engage and spin the engine. If the same buzzing is heard, remove the starter, holding it firmly on a solid surface, connect a ground lead to the flange and the - battery the other to the + of battery and touch to the + lug of the starter. If it operates normally try cleaning the flange area where it meets the engine mounting surface and the mounting bolts, also the + lug and terminal on the starter. A wire brush or scotch brite should do the trick. Probably will notice a white powdery substance that comes off with cleaning, thats what you will want to remove.
See where that gets ya and let us know...

Old 07-31-04, 11:39 AM
kev
Visiting Guest
I will Give that a try Azis and let you know what happens. Thanks a bunch.
Kev

Old 07-31-04, 02:21 PM
kev
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Starter

I did as you suggested Azis. I have the starter out. When I put power to it I get very little response, only sporadic partial rotation with no sound. Took the starter apart and cleaned comm, and checked brushes (not much wear at all) put it back together with same result. I am just wondering if I am getting a good enough connection using jumper cables. Tommorrow I will hook it up to the battery using the +cable from battery and a -jummper. If I get the same result it would appear the starter is the culprit. Would you agree?
Kev

Old 07-31-04, 10:30 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Unfortunatly yes Kev I would agree. Its not often that starters go out on mowers and therefore the folks who sell them are proud. U may look for starter generator repair folks in your area as an option to a new starter. I know JDeere is proud of parts and why not check local folk and funnel some $ if possible.

Just a last minute Kami thought, but try the jumper cable thing on a car battery if your brave enuff, sometimes maybe just spinning the armature through all its stuff fast enuff may clean some things or just get lucky. I only mention this because I have done that to one mower that I still use and mow pastures with...Like I said its a bit Kami Kazi but it got er done

Old 08-01-04, 06:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have an ohmmeter you can do some continuity checks on the coils. There is a chance that the brushes are hung up on the brush holders and don't make good connections with the communtator. I suppose you could have a shorted turn on one of the coils or there could be an intermittant connection. Those PM starter motors are usually trouble free but when they do go bad there are only a limited amount of things that can be fixed.

Old 08-01-04, 07:42 PM
kev
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys

Thanks Jughead & Azis. As I mentioned earlier I had the starter apart, the comm and brushes are in good shape. There is no obvious bad spots that I can see. I am looking for a rebuild shop in my area. I hate to think what a new one will cost. Thanks again for all the help, this is a great site
Kev

Old 08-03-04, 03:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do you have a Kawasaki or a Briggs & Stratton engine, and what are the ID #'s of the engine, on this machine? Few, if any starter motor repair joints will mess with small engine starters...you may well have to replace such. Let me know on the make of engine!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: