Briggs & Stratton Mower Help

Old 07-31-04, 11:51 AM
mowmow
Visiting Guest
Question Murray/Briggs & Stratton Mower Dies

We have a Murray push mower with a Briggs & Stratton motor. It is a Quantum Power, 5HP, Model# 12F702, Type 0714-01, Code 96101559. It has a primer. I ran out of gas while mowing yesterday. I filled the tank with new (week old) gas. It started right up and then idled down and died. It wouldn't immediately start back up. I let it sit for 10 mins and tried it again. It started right up and immediatelyl died down and out. I pulled the line off where it comes out of the gas tank and gas flowed freely. I removed the air filter holder to get to the other end of the line where it goes into the round thing with a flap inside (carb?). The line is clear. I do the yearly tune-up but do not otherwise know much about motors. I would really like to fix this myself and save money. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Lynn

Last edited by mowmow; 07-31-04 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-04, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Lynn!

Sounds like you need to remove the bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and clean it out. You probably picked up a bit of trash or water (usually goes into the carb with the very last of the gas in the tank).

Old 08-02-04, 03:16 PM
Be sure to check and clean the bowl nut/main jet for any trash as well. Tiny holes here...look closely.