Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda engine problem

Visiting Guest

07-31-04, 03:48 PM   #1  
dansal
Honda engine problem

I have a honda 8hp horizontal engine model GX240. I am having a problem starting this engine. To start the engine I must take off the air filter and choke it by hand to get it to start. Once it has started it smokes white smoke for about 30 seconds and then starts to clear up but I must keep the choke on until the engine gets warm then I can slowly take the choke off. When it is warmed up completely it runs perfect and if you cut it off it cranks right back up.
I have rebuilt the carb and changed plugs. I have also adjusted the rocker arm clearance. But nothing helped the problem.
I would like to check the compression but I really don't know how to go about doing this since it has a compression release mechanism.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-01-04, 07:46 PM   #2  
Hello Daniel!

The hard start when cold and white smoke would lead you to believe it might be a compression problem. You say it starts to clear up after 30 seconds or so. Does it ever quit smoking entirely? My best guess based on the info you gave would be either worn rings, or blown/leaking head gasket.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

08-02-04, 03:22 PM   #3  
I'll go with the blown head gasket. Your best way to determine this (without actually removing the head) is to do a leak-down test. This test pressurizes the combustion chamber, you then listen and feel for any leaks...into the crankcase, out the exhaust or out the carburetor. My guess is you'll hear air leaking out the crankcase (by way of the oil fill (if it's a low oil fill point, you'll need to drop the oil level)) or right around the head gasket. Most DIYers don't have this test equipment though. If not, go ahead and remove the head...as long as you know how to reset the valve clearances.

Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 06:10 PM   #4  
dansal
Posted By: cheese Hello Daniel!

The hard start when cold and white smoke would lead you to believe it might be a compression problem. You say it starts to clear up after 30 seconds or so. Does it ever quit smoking entirely? My best guess based on the info you gave would be either worn rings, or blown/leaking head gasket.
The engine does quit smoking completely after about 30 seconds.

Thanks
Daniel

Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 06:14 PM   #5  
dansal
Posted By: puey61 I'll go with the blown head gasket. Your best way to determine this (without actually removing the head) is to do a leak-down test. This test pressurizes the combustion chamber, you then listen and feel for any leaks...into the crankcase, out the exhaust or out the carburetor. My guess is you'll hear air leaking out the crankcase (by way of the oil fill (if it's a low oil fill point, you'll need to drop the oil level)) or right around the head gasket. Most DIYers don't have this test equipment though. If not, go ahead and remove the head...as long as you know how to reset the valve clearances.
I will check this out thanks for your help

thanks
Daniel

Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 11:54 PM   #6  
Azis
A quick disconnect for a compresion tester (sold at most auto stores) and a bicycle pump can dupe for a quick leak tester.

Visiting Guest

08-11-04, 07:43 PM   #7  
dansal
I checked the engine with a leak down tester and it checks out fine. I disassembled the carb again and found a suspect O-ring in the air bleed passage that might be the problem. I will change it and let you know how it works.

thanks for the help

Daniel

Search this Thread