Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Intek V-twin governor installation

Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 05:11 PM   #1  
jnlvngstn
B&S Intek V-twin governor installation

I have a Briggs and Stratton 22 hp Twin V Model 407777 Type 0122E1. After replacing losts of internal parts due to a broken connecting rod, I have come to installing the governor gear. I can't figure how the gear and the cap are installed. It seems the cap should ride the rod being pushed by the goernor as the engine speeds up. I tried installing the cap partially into the arms of the governor gear, but it must have fallen off when the engine started. It seems that if I install the cap all the way down onto the governor gear, with the governor arms closed around it, that the cap will not ride up on the shaft as the engine speeds up. Any help?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-02-04, 07:54 PM   #2  
sceptre
it sounds like your gov. shaft may be disfigured i've seen this before with a thrown rod. your carb should be wide open with your paddle on the gov shaft
against the cup on the gov gear when it is fully retracted. if not the gov shaft should be replaced. i hope this helps.

bye,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-03-04, 01:44 AM   #3  
That's a possibility.

The cap should fit between the gear, and the tabs on the flywheights. As the weights move outward, they push the cap away from the gear, causing the governor lever to move.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-03-04, 08:27 AM   #4  
jnlvngstn
I looked at the governor shaft again, it seems ok, no noticable bend or marks on it. I am going to replace it anyway. Small price and I don't want to have to pull the engine apart again.
I know the cap must ride up (and down) the shaft depressing the lever on the governor shaft. My question is when installing the governor and the cap, should the cap sit all the way, nested, in the arms of the governor gear, with the arms in the up position. this leaves the two arms touching, with about a quarter inch of the cap protruding from above the arms. It was in this position that I tried opening the arms, only to have the cap hang up on the cut outs in the arms, not allowing the cap to ride up the shaft.
However, when I installed the cap with the arms partially open, which allowed the cap to freely ride up the shaft, the cap fell off when the engine started, allowing the arms to fully open, when they were torn off against the side of the engine.
So the question remains, how - in what position should the cap and governor gear be in - during installation?
Thanks for your help

NY

08-03-04, 03:00 PM   #5  
The correct order for assembly of the governor components is as follows: Washer; Gear; Retainer; Button. Once the sump cover is installed, the button should then line up with the governor lever.

Visiting Guest

08-22-04, 04:16 PM   #6  
jnlvngstn
gov shaft was deformed and thanks to all

[QUOTE=sceptre]it sounds like your gov. shaft may be disfigured i've seen this before with a thrown rod. your carb should be wide open with your paddle on the gov shaft
against the cup on the gov gear when it is fully retracted. if not the gov shaft should be replaced. i hope this helps.

I looked at the gov. shaft, it looked fine, no marks or anything to indicate the lever or shaft had been disfigured. But, what the heck, it was under 10 bucks, and I didn't want to see the inside of this engine again anytime soon. Sure enough, the far side of the lever, the stop was disfigured, bent too far and would not have allowed the shaft to rotate in the manner it is designed. Thanks for that heads up.

I eventually found a picture of the gov installed. It was shown in a picture of another part being installed. The gov cup is nestled inside the closed arms of the gov at the time of installation.

Thanks to all

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-24-04, 12:09 AM   #7  
Good job! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

04-22-08, 09:28 AM   #8  
I know this is an old thread but I'm about to attempt the same repair and have a couple questions:
1. Do you have that picture of what the governor should look like?
2. Can the governor be repaired by removing the small round plate with the 3 screws or does the entire bottom engine cover have to be removed?
3. With the engine assembled (and not running), how many degrees should the governor shaft that is sticking out the side of the engine (that the carburetor linkage connects to) rotate? Mine only rotates about 5 degrees with the carb linkage disconnected before it hits something solid in either direction.

Also, the engine has a very high pitched whine when running. Sounds exactly like the noise from a blower belt on a race engine. Sweet sound but I have a hunch it is from mangled governor parts inside the engine.

Search this Thread