Craftsman edger barely runs

Old 08-03-04, 06:55 PM
danturner
Visiting Guest
Craftsman edger barely runs

I have a 18" 19CC Craftsman edger that will hardly run. It worked fine this spring but now, after getting it started (which is a chore) it acts as if it's flooding, running at 1/3 speed, and dies when giving the throttle. I checked the air filter...it's ok. I checked the plug...seemed ok. I cleaned the plug, it had what looked like graphite around the base? I put it back in, fired it up for a couple of minutes, pulled the plug and a little residual graphite-like substance was on the plug where it seals against the block. Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-04, 09:52 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Quick reply on this to check, your muffler should have a screen or some sort which is a spark arrestor, without looking a bit not sure how it mounts but I am sure you will find it, remove it by a ring clip screws or how ever and clean it. Any type of solvent will do and a small scribe or pick to poke any holes clean that the solvent does not clear.

If this dont help post back with info of model # of your trimmer and how it went.

Old 08-04-04, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello danturner!

Unfortunately, the "graphite"-looking stuff is probably aluminum from the top of the piston. This would be due to running fuel with no or too little oil in it, overheating, or a lean-running carburetor. Try backing out the high-speed adjustment screw 1/2 turn and see how it runs (the one closest to the filter housing) .