Fuel dripping from carburetor

Old 08-04-04, 04:03 PM
Bisquick
Visiting Guest
Fuel dripping from carburetor

I apologize in advance for posting a question that I am sure has already been asked.
I looked through the first 100 or so posts and did not find a similar question.
I was recently mowing for my father-in-law and had been at it for a couple of hours.
The mower started to sputter like it was about out of gas so I stopped to refuel it.
When I popped the gas cap I was surprised to find that it still had ĺ of a tank.
It was an extremely hot day, so I thought that maybe the engine was possibly overheating. I let it sit for a half hour or so and when I went back to check it I found that fuel was dripping from the carburetor. So I guess my question is: Is fuel dripping from the carburetor generally caused by a stuck float? The Engine is a B&S 11HP 400cc.
Iím sorry I do not have the model or serial #ís. The tractor is a Murray model # 5-36508X92A, Manufacture date code 0785, if thatís any help.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-04, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Bisquick!

A sticking/stuck float will cause leakage. Usually a stuck open float will pour the fuel out very fast, not just a drip. You could have a bad float, and/or needle. Remove the carb bowl. If it's full of trash and rust, clean it out and try again. It could be that some trash was keeping the needle from sealing.

Old 08-05-04, 02:18 PM
Bisquick
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese.

I called it a drip but it was comming out pretty fast. I just got a new drag link for the thing then this problem started.
Follow up question, if you don't mind.
Every once in a while the engine will start running kind of fast and no matter where I move the throttle lever it will not slow down (unless I choke it out), I thought that maybe the throttle linkage was gummed up or dirty so i tried to lube it. Could a float problem cause this sort of problem or should I just try to do a better job of cleaning and lubing the throttle linkage? If so do you just clean it or clean and lube? What kind of Lube?

Old 08-06-04, 02:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A float wouldn't be likely to cause the fast running problem. I think maybe the whole carb needs cleaning. Sounds like the throttle shaft is sticking in the carb causing the fast running (especially along with the fact that it's leaking gas). Clean and rebuild the carb and I think both problems will dissapear.

Search this Thread