Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere Lawn tractor won't crank

Visiting Guest

08-07-04, 12:54 PM   #1  
John Stafford
John Deere Lawn tractor won't crank

Any suggestions? Since one and a half weeks ago my John Deere STX38 lawn tractor wouldn't crank any more. It's about 14 years old, had regular maintenance through our local small engine John Deere dealer, including this spring. The battery shows 12 volts. The engine won't turn over when I turn the ignition switch. The gas line shutoff is turned "on". The product identification number is MOOSTXBO35602. The fuse near the ignition switch is good (I used the ohmmeter). I could buy a replacement ignition switch, but I don't have a schematic to check the connections. Anything else I can check? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 12:40 AM   #2  
Azis
Have a look at this thread, http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=175545
Should give you some ideas to start, basically begin at the starter and work back toward the key switch.
Post back if that helped or not.

NY

08-10-04, 02:50 PM   #3  
John,
Any luck on the no-crank problem yet?

Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 08:47 PM   #4  
John Stafford
Wrong Voltage

Well, I remembered the wrong voltage when I posted my original message. I really measured 6 volts, not 12. It was a closed battery. It must have lost half of it's cells suddenly, and didn't even click the solenoid. Anyway, replacing the battery fixed the problem. Thanks alot!

Search this Thread