Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sears tecumseh 8hp replacement

08-07-04, 08:37 PM   #1  
sears tecumseh 8hp replacement

i have 1 more project before summer ends. i have a 1975 tecumseh engine 143.256012 on a 36" craftsman tractor. i may need to seek engine replacement. it starts fine and runs fine. i did a valve job and noticed the cylinder had grooves. i tried to smooth cylinder out using x fine wet sandpaper. i think there is ring wear. the engine will run fine for about 45 mins. and will start struggling blowing a little oil through breather. will have to let cool and refill oil at this point. how can i ck compression w/o a gauge or other devices. i have turn engine by hand backwards. there is some recoil. engine turns forward about medium easy. if i do have to replace engine, sears uses a 7/8 stepdown crank on pulley. all the comparable engines i have seen have a 1in. crank. sears does not make parts anymore for this old timer. are there comparable 1 in. pulleys out there for a 36 in. deck? my pulley # 42108. what is the best route to take. your opinions greatly appreciated. thank you, l.mitchell.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-08-04, 08:38 AM   #2  
slo5oh
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

If they can't find the parts... then you give up. Great site... most important part I remember... plan out what you will spend to fix your existing engine... if it's not much more for a new one... I got all the gaskets I needed for about $30 and used a pumice stone to deglaze the cyl walls.

NY

08-09-04, 03:36 PM   #3  
My records indicate that there is no replacement engine available but there is still a shortblock available. This is the cylinder block and all internal components. The Tecumseh part number is 752275A and goes for just under 300 bucks (plus a freight charge). Check with your local Tecumseh shop and have them order this if you choose.

Search this Thread