Ryobi trimmer problems...

Old 06-29-04, 05:37 PM
raleighnole
Visiting Guest
Ryobi trimmer problems...

Hi, I have a Ryobi trimmer which will run only if I keep pressing the primer bulb. If I spray out the carb with carb cleaner it runs fine for about 30mins or so then starts to die unless I give it gas with the primer bulb. Spark plug has been changed... Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks

Old 06-30-04, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello raleighnole!

Sounds to me like the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned out. You might get by just backing out the high speed mixture screw just a tad. Its the one (of two) that's closest to the air cleaner.

Old 07-07-04, 11:27 AM
johntcc1
Visiting Guest
The carb has a rubber flap that is used as a metering device. When the unit sits for a while, the rubber flap sticks in the carbureter. If you disassemble the carb, you will be able to see the rubber flap. Soak it in some fuel and you should be able to pull it away from the metal. Reassemble and you should run ok again. Also check for bubbles in the fuel lines when the unit stalls. If there are any, you got holes or an uncovered fuel pick up.

Old 08-07-04, 12:07 PM
raleighnole
Visiting Guest
Bubbles in the fuel line...

Trouble happened again after I had disassembled the carb as instructed below. Engine ran for about 20mins this time fine. When it starts to stall there are bubbles in the fuel line. If I use the primer bulb, gas is sent through the fuel line and the motor revs up again. johntcc1 wrote:

"Also check for bubbles in the fuel lines when the unit stalls. If there are any, you got holes or an uncovered fuel pick up."

Can you please explain this statement further for me? Where do I check, do I need to get a new fuel tank/lines (sold together)? Thank you for the help!

Raleighnole

Old 08-10-04, 11:29 AM
johntcc1
Visiting Guest
"Also check for bubbles in the fuel lines when the unit stalls. If there are any, you got holes or an uncovered fuel pick up."

Can you please explain this statement further for me? Where do I check, do I need to get a new fuel tank/lines (sold together)? Thank you for the help!
The fuel has two routes. One goes 'from' the tank to the carb, and the other side goes 'to' the tank from the carb. In the line 'from the carb, you have the filter on the end, in the tank, then that leads to the bulb. And from there to the carb. (someone will correct if i'm wrong. Doing this from memory.) After the carb, you have the return line to the tank. In between is the bulb and a barb fitting of some sort. Each of the fuel lines can have a leak where-ever they connect or because the fuel eats away at the lines. This is where the bubbles come from. Then if you've messed with the lines, the pick up side in the tank can curl around (inside the tank) and become uncovered if the tank isn't completely full, or the line inside the tank can have a problem. I've found that I have to replace the lines and bulb completely every year in order not to take a BFH (Big 'bleep' Hammer) to the unit. The other problem is the mixture control...Even with the little plastic stops, they get out of adjustment and when the unit warms up, I have to keep the throttle open or it will stall at idle. If you still have the manual, you can look at the diagram for the fuel lines to make sure you have them put back properly. The lines themselves are sold locally and are a bit of a pain to find because the internal diameter is a little small. The home depot by me used to carry them and I went back last month for some and they didn't have it anymore. The one that they show listed for Ryobi, doesn't fit my unit.
You shouldn't need to replace the tank unless you've dropped the unit.

Old 08-10-04, 07:27 PM
raleighnole
Visiting Guest
Great Informaiton!

Thanks for the detailed information Johntcc1. Going to try and find some new fuel lines (5years old) and give it a try. Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: