Stripped out bolts

Old 08-10-04, 06:20 PM
Stripped out bolts

I have a T1400H Kubota riding lawn tractor with a GH400-V-L OHV engine. When I tore the engine down, I did not notice that three of nine oil pan bolts were stripped out. After examining the rest of the bolts closely, they appeared to be in bad shape also, don't believe they would hold up to a torque wrench. The bolts were metric (M8 X 1.25), which is very close to 5/16". Four of the holes are thru holes...I'm thinking that I might just put a longer bolt with a nut. The other five I thought I would put a 5/8" heli-coil in them, the only thing do you think that when I drill out the holes in the oil pan that it might just make them too thin. I've already got a lot tied up in the engine...just let this slip-by. Do you think this would work or do you have a better idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 05:00 AM
Since this is a metric engine, I'd stay with metric threads. You mentioned using "Heli-coil"...I prefer using "Recoil" brand thread repair. You can find these at many automotive stores as well as any Briggs & Stratton dealer. I don't think you'll have a situation where the material will be too thin by repairing the threads, as most engine manufacturers tend to look into the future and realize that thread strippage is inevitable and design for such issues, allowing enough material to do such repairs. But by all means, use your discretion.