Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Craftsman motor won't start.

Visiting Guest

08-11-04, 10:56 AM   #1  
haywdx
Sears Craftsman motor won't start.

First of all I was mowing. after re-starting the engine the starter rope broke. Since the motor was still running I finished mowing. I went to retrieve the broken cord and mistakenly I ran over it and it wound around the blade. I got a new cord, rewound the starter spring and completed the installation of the new cord. On attempting to start the motor, the starter cord was very hard to pull and I have since been unable to start the mower. I took the spark plug out, shot some wd-40 in but that didn't make it any easier to pull the starter cord. The blade turns so the drive shaft and the blade adapter seems to be O.K. It appears that the engine flywheel brake is not releasing. When I grip the control bar and pull the starter cord, it still pulls hard. When the control bar is in a down position, the result is the same. Is there an adjustment that I can make to the engine flywheel brake so that it will release when I hold the control bar up?
This is a sears, craftsman, self propelled more No. 917-377264, Briggs I will appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks, Haywdx

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-04, 01:36 AM   #2  
Hello Haywdx!

Sounds like the engine brake cable is siezed. Watch the other end of the cable when you move the safety bar and see how it travels. If it doesn't, then either the brake is stuck, or the cable is siezed and needs replacement. There is no adjustment.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread